Rslogix 5000 MAM Command Error 65

eatsandjk

I am using rslogix 5000 version 27, A L71 PLC, A kinetix 5500 servo drive. With MAM instruction used for motion. This is used to feed steel through a straightener. It feeds "X" amount out then shears it off and just repeats. Each shear cycle i am taking the servo actual position and adding "X" to it for the next target position. This works great for a few weeks but it appears the actual number is reaching 2,147,483,648 then it goes -2,147,483,648 and i get the error 65 on my MAM instruction. If i download the program again it resets the actual position so it can run again. Is there a way to reset the actual position in the code to eliminate this issue. I tried a MRP Instruction but this did not work.

just guessing without knowing more about your equipment - but have you read up on the MAH (Motion Axis Home) instruction? ...

again - just guessing - but take a look at the "Passive" mode ...

Why do you keep adding the numbers at some point the numbers will be to high and fault out
why not reset the value with every cut

MRP - Motion Redefine Position

That instruction will allow you to change/reset the axis position to whatever value you wish to have (probably reset to zero, but you don't have to). I would do that while the axis is not moving.

Oops - just read the rest of you comment that you tried an MRP. Not sure why it didn't work for you, but that is the command you want.

The other way to solve the issue is to change the axis to a rotary axis that will reset itself. HOWEVER, you need to be very careful with programming to handle decision making when the axis is about to reset itself from the max to zero (ie the axis is moving to 358, 359, 0, 1 degrees)

Last edited:
change the MAM from "absolute" to "incremental"

I'm with Peter a MRP should sort the problem by setting the position to zero

The other way is to configure the axis as "rotary" at 1,000,000,000
and when you calculate the target position to test if target > 1,000,000,000 then target = target - 1,000,000,000