ASCII vie Ethernet TCP to Control Logix

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've been asked if a check weigher a client has purchased will be able to talk to their PLC. The device talks over Ethernet using ASCII, but this is a bit outside of what I've done before so I'm not even sure of which questions to ask!

Below is the relevant info from the manual - can anyone tell me (a) if it's possible to get data out of this machine and into a Control Logix via an existing 1756-ENBT; and (b) where to start at the CLX end? I'm assuming it would be a message instruction, but I'm really not sure.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 2.24.09 PM.jpg

And here's some information on the required data structure. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough.

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 2.25.43 PM.jpg

I'm pretty sure you need to be looking at open socket, which the ENBT doesn't support. Most of the other cards will do this though (EWEB, EN2T, so on). We have done a couple of these recently for Domino printers and it is ugly (Probably because we have no idea what we are doing). If you have a look at the EWEB or EN2T manual, or even search Rockwell's website; they have some open socket examples there. Your alternative would be to use one of the ProSoft cards that does the same thing, and they also have examples on their website.

So, unless I've got it completely wrong you are sending/receiving ASCII commands over a TCP open socket connection.

Hi Jeev,

That appears to be the case! Good to know that the ENBT won't do the job. Now that I know which words to stuff into google, I've found this manual which seems at first glance to mirror the comms specification of the check weigher documentation. So looks like we're on the right track. I'll read through that document a bit further and check with the client, see if there's anything else of interest.

Any chance you'd be able to upload a sample of one of your domino printer programs? Even just that one part - it would be helpful to see what's involved and be able to look at a working one (even if it is ugly ;) )

Thanks!

Any chance you'd be able to upload a sample of one of your domino printer programs?
There are multiple Logix Sockets examples available in the RA Knowledgebase including printer code and Add-On instructions that will make you life easier.
And you need EN2T or EWEB to do it.

Thanks guys. I'll check it out and report back if the customer doesn't end up deciding that it's too expensive to bother with...I thought I'd taught them by now to spend more on hardware to save the cost in development and integration, but occasionally they have a lapse :)

Thanks!

Rockwell has the 1734-232ASC module and the 1734-485ASC module that you could use but to keep it sime I would use a module from RTA.

The RTA stuff is really simple to setup and they have great support. If it's a popular brand of check weigher they have likely done it before.

http://www.rtaautomation.com/product/435nbx-2/

FYI, I think OP was looking for an Ethernet solution, not RS-232.