I think it is a ET200s
I have included a picture
What latest software package do I need to go online
and what cables. Thanks

20160208_163614.jpg

Ok in my TIA portal version 13 I do have the unit listed
So as I do not have the IP network, using the picture how
would I connect to it to get the code as the backups have been lost

You look to have 3 ethernet cables connected to the unit - where do they go and what else is connected to it?
Do you know their IP addresses, which should give you a clue as to which subnet they are on?

dp_firmwareladen_in_tia_01_e.png

There is a computer running WinCC I may be able to see what IP network it is on. If so I think I can add a switch at the computer and set the a fixed IP on my machine and get to it that way
What you think

another question, if and no one can remember and the origional integrator in out of business, the code is password protected, or locked what will I be able to download for backup, anything ?

There are a few different ways the code can be locked, including individual blocks, or the whole PLC. If the PLC is password protected, I don't think you can upload anything without the password.

And...

if you don't have a copy of the original project, you will end up with no symbols or comments.

The best advice is to get hold of the original project.

Nick