Modbus TCP program support UDP?

Lovell

Hi All,

I am familiar with using the Modbus TCP Master Sample Application by Pyramid Solutions. I am wondering if I can use it or need something else to talk to a Modbus UDP device?

Thanks

TCP and UDP have some similarities but not enough to make them compatible with each other. Probably the biggest difference is that TCP uses error checking and acknowledgements making it basically a two way communications session. UDP responds to a request for packets by sending them without any verification that they are correct or even received. UDP is used when speed is more important the reliability where TCP is used when reliability is more important that speed. TCP is by far the most commonly used Ethernet protocol. Given all of the above a Modbus TCP device shouldn’t be able to communicate with a Modbus UDP device.

http://www.howtogeek.com/190014/htg-explains-what-is-the-difference-between-tcp-and-udp/

Forgot the details, working with a Controllogix L-71 processor with an ENBT card in slot 1. I was hoping to read the modbus with the Modbus Master TCP program that Rockwell shares.