What's that word?

JeremyM

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm setting up some generic analog scaling AOIs to ease maintenance troubleshooting/configuration efforts - "EngineeringHigh" and "EngineeringLow" are for the max/min card values. "AnalogValue" should suffice for the raw reading.

I'm drawing a blank on a concise term for "real world unit" high and low. Maybe "WorldHigh" and "WorldLow"? Thanks!

QuantizedHigh, QuantizedLow?

Last edited:
RAW = card counts, 0-32000
ENG = 4-20 mA, 0-10V
SCALED = PSI, LBS, Flow, Temp, ect.

Scaled is generally the final output that gets displayed on the Meter, HMI, Scada, ect.

RAW = card counts, 0-32000
ENG = 4-20 mA, 0-10V
SCALED = PSI, LBS, Flow, Temp, ect.

Scaled is generally the final output that gets displayed on the Meter, HMI, Scada, ect.

If I were doing the maintenance, this is how I would like to see it.

Will.

Everybody knows the bird is the word?

(sorry, couldn't help myself...)

RMin, RMax, SMin, SMax.

R=Raw, S=Scaled.

It's not always engineering units that your scaling is applied to. It's not always Analog input as the source.

KISS (keep it short and sweet).

On the hmi/scada we have screen(s) for configuring the analogue inputs, with the following things:
Actual value, Minimal value, Maximum value, Offset, Filtersize, Factor.

I use Raw and Scaled as well.

With analog inputs, the input data is raw, and the processed data is scaled.

With analog outputs, the input data is scaled, and the processed data the gets output to the card is raw.

It's not always engineering units that your scaling is applied to. It's not always Analog input as the source.

Yup, but the card's configuration data file can be parsed to distinguish what options have been selected for its operation; if someone were in boneheaded fashion to change these parameters while a machine is running, it's certainly possible to have utility code to better insulate process programming (such as scaling, etc) from changes like that.

So new project? :nodi:

edit: now that I remember, I'm already gathering the High/Low units and using those an inputs to the scaling functions' endpoints.

Last edited: