CLX Program Upgrade (1756-L61 to L71)

WillM

After noticing that the L61 is now more expensive than the L71 and the obvious benefits I have been considering making it our new replacement.

New installations appears to be fine as we can run v20.

However my concern is if we replace an older L5X or L6X running anything from v12 - v19, will there be any issues converting a program from a lower version to v20. From my memory I was told that large jumps could cause problems.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Found these which were quite helpful for general info on the upgrade...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/archive/index.php/t-72357.html

http://theautomationblog.com/five-questions-to-ask-before-migrating-to-the-controllogix-l7x/

Have you got a service agreement where you can update RSLogix5000?

We have been using L71s for a while now, but as the newer processors come out then we have to go forward, with V21 to the latest version, and the service agreement is a big help that way.

I suppose it comes down to hardware/firmware revisions of the processor and the attached I/O...

but also why do you want to replace the "older L5X and L6X" processors - these will go for years......? I have a number of "older" L55 processors that I could use in my plant, but they may not have the functionality and software/firmware revision necessary for a new project with new hardware, but depends on the project and what is needed...

my big concerns just now are the PLC5 to CLX migrations that I have to do...

Have you got a service agreement where you can update RSLogix5000?

We have been using L71s for a while now, but as the newer processors come out then we have to go forward, with V21 to the latest version, and the service agreement is a big help that way.

I suppose it comes down to hardware/firmware revisions of the processor and the attached I/O...

but also why do you want to replace the "older L5X and L6X" processors - these will go for years......? I have a number of "older" L55 processors that I could use in my plant, but they may not have the functionality and software/firmware revision necessary for a new project with new hardware, but depends on the project and what is needed...

my big concerns just now are the PLC5 to CLX migrations that I have to do...

We have tech support so yeah there's no issues with the required software.

Its not something I want to run out across site as yes there is a limited benefit. The main reason is knowing that should we need a to replace an old CLX processor (Rare I know), we have the option to replace with a newer "Active" processor.

Luckily most of our PLC 5 has been phased out over the last 10 years. Unfortunately its the square D we're having to get rid off.