Emulator Speed

agrajag42

Hi all,

I'm emulating a PLC, and running a routine that has timed operations. I'm noticing that the timing is way off. I'm asking for things to happen around 200mS, and it's about an order of magnitude slower. Is there a way to fix that with the emulator?

I'm using FactoryTalk View Studio ME, Logix Designer Full Edition v21.00, and RSLogix Emulate 5000.

Thanks!
/e

Nope. The Emulator specifically doesn't support any real-time based instructions or features. It ought to say in blazing red letters "No PID, no Motion, no Networking".

OK, well that answers that pretty conclusively! I'd heard it wasn't real-time, but I hadn't realized just how not-real-time it is.

Thanks, Ken!
/e

Worse, it's not consistently not-real-time. There are some deep and funky things involving processor core affinity and thread prioritization that I don't understand.

SoftLogix 5800 has different hooks into the OS and can run motion and PID and everything else. Emulate 5000 can't.

I use the emulator for testing small data processing routines, but generally when I want to test a machine program, I get out some 1756 hardware.