OPTO 22 dilly of an issue

asterof

Having to remove an old OPTO 22 system
Yep, sure enough it is never easy
Now OPTO 22 has these modules called AD4
http://documents.opto22.com/0446_Std_Analog_ICTD_data_sheet.pdf
Used for temperature probes from OPTO 22 called ICTD Temperature Probe.

The spects on these are
Input Temperature Range - 40 °C to 100 °C
Output 233 μA @ -40 °C 373 μA @ 100 °C

So now I need to put this probe onto a Controllogix system
but I am not sure what CLX module I could use

Is it possible for you to use a Snap-Pac-EB2 to add the Opto module to your Contrologix system as remote I/O? It works rather well from my experience.

Ok so then I would

So I add a Snap-Pac-EB2 and have the CLX talk to it
Currently they are using a B200 and 10 AD4 modules connected to it. The B200 seems to be in a rack, so the Snap-Pac-EB2 would wire to the B200 rack ?

the sensors are a nice standard 1 uA /Celsius.
so at 100 C = 373 Kelvin they give 373 uA as max.
with a resistor of 1 kiloohm they will give 373 milliVolt
inside is a AD590
as this is a very small voltage you will always need a amplifier like a 20 times one, the max is about 8 volts so a 10 Volt input will be oke.

to save cost it is possible to change over the analog channel.

to save cost it is possible to change over the analog channel.

as you indicated to change the analog would require
some modifications sorta of a jerry rig setup
Because of the custom made mounting, and the specialized probes
switching them out with RTD's would be a major cost just for
eight probes. Yes it could be done if the customer wants to pay for it.

as you indicated to change the analog would require
some modifications sorta of a jerry rig setup
Because of the custom made mounting, and the specialized probes
switching them out with RTD's would be a major cost just for
eight probes. Yes it could be done if the customer wants to pay for it.

"Major cost" varies, of course. I know if you keep the existing ICTDs, you could replace the older Opto 22 hardware with current hardware for about $1000 USD list. This gets you a single 8-channel ICTD input module and (separate) Ethernet-based I/O processor mounted on a 4-module rack. The unit acts as a Modbus slave, and communicates with the CLX using Modbus/TCP over an Ethernet network. The hardware could be powered with the 5VDC supply used for the B200.

Down the road the hardware can be expanded to use a larger I/O rack and almost any of Opto 22's SNAP I/O family of I/O modules.

Full disclosure, etc. - I work for Opto 22.

Last edited: