Off Topic: Electrical

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know there are alot of REAL electricians that participate here.

Is it acceptable to use EMT exposed in a dwelling? Not worried about looks just wondering if by NEC 2002 if its acceptable?

Is metal-clad or armor cable acceptable to be exposed.

According to NEC 210.52(A)(1) Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8m (6 feet) from a receptacle outlet.

The outer walls and rear wall are all cement. There is a laundry room, bathroom, kitchen, bedroom(s), bath and living room involved...basically a house in itself but its the downstairs (comverted basement) of the 70+ year old house I inherited.

What would you recommend? Dont want to build walls if I can avoid it.

I am no real electrician, but my basement has exposed EMT running down the block walls to outlets. I would expect that is part of the purpose of the existence of EMT

EMT is perfect for long runs, look into BX (armoured flex cable with no outer PVC jacket) for short runs where you have a lot of bends.
There are special boxes available such as cast FS boxes for emt or NPT threaded for L16 style box entry connectors. BX cable requires the use of a plastic sleeve (usually red) to be insterted between the sharp edges of the armour and the wires. BX doesn't look good on long horizontal runs because it droops between mounting straps.

Last edited:
rsdoran:

I personally would prefer the EMT over the others because it's neater looking, and yes it is code..

According to NEC 210.52(A)(1) Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8m (6 feet) from a receptacle outlet.

This is correct. Don't be mistaken though. Allot of people (not electricians) think that means they need an outlet every 6ft along the wall. For example, if you have a wall 24ft long, you would place a recepticle 6ft from each corner that would leave 12ft between both recepticles. Easier put, you should be able to stand anywhere along the wall and not be farther than 6ft from a receptical.

Gary

Thanks to all. I have the NEC 2002 Handbook and it explains the issue about spacing the outlets so I understood that part. The exception is kitchen countertops as I understand it.

I have never done any housing installation so was not positive on the EMT issue but had read in NEC code it could be exposed but wanted verification it would/could be used in a house.

One more question. Will I need to run the conduit full length from the panel box OR can I run Romex (UF-B) to a junction box then run the EMT where its needed.

The upstairs I will be using Romex (UF-B) on all the 15 & 20 amp ckts. I already have several hundred feet of 14 & 12 ga.

Now that I think about it I could do one short run from the breaker panel with 1" EMT to a 4 square, make 4 feeds from that. 1 for dryer, 1 for GFCI in laundry room, 1 for bedroom walls and 1 for kitchen & living room walls.

Since I have the Romex I would prefer using it to feed to a junction box then run out of it with the EMT, easier to run and would need as much EMT.

I will defer to your recommendations since I am in area I am not familiar with. I can do the wiring, just not positive on code issues and would like to avoid problems in the future when I know it will have to be inspected.

I apologize for this NON PLC related question but I needed info and knew there were many here that would have the answers.

Thank you.

Will I need to run the conduit full length from the panel box OR can I run Romex (UF-B) to a junction box then run the EMT where its needed.

Just where the romex would be subject to physical damage. I just run the conduit up between the floor joist with a box connector on the end of it and then just put a plastic bushing on the box connector to protect the romex. You don't need to put it in a box.

Keep the questions coming, this is one way I can help for you all helping me out with my PLC questions..

Gary

Last edited:
This is great....YOU are saying I can run the Romex in the EMT? I wouldnt have to use something like THHN to go in the EMT?

If that is correct you have made my day. I actually had not considered being able to run Romex in EMT. This would definitely simplify the project, just need 5 foot lengths from ceiling/floor joists to outlet box.

Thank you.

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
I apologize for this NON PLC related question but I needed info and knew there were many here that would have the answers.

Ron, I don't know how everybody else feels, but you dont need to aplogize to me for sure. We all learn something from the answers posed by you question, and that's good enough for me.

They make romex to pipe connectors or they used to (it has been a few years). I used strip the romx jacket off before putting it in the pipe and never had problem with inspection.

GO JETS

In Canada you could also shoot a 2X4 on to the concrete wall and staple the non metalic sheath cable to the side of it effectively creating mechanical protection, I am not sure about US Regulations on this though.

Actually I did think of doing something similar to that but that didnt leave the Romex exposed. I came to the conclusion that EMT would look better and provide better protection with 3 teenage sons and 1 soon to be teenage son living in these rooms.

Then EMT is your only option maybe even ridged conduit if your teenagers are like mine who like to shoot hockey pucks at concrete walls.

Yes you can run Romex inside EMT. That is one of the options for protecting Romex from physical damage. I personally don't like to see it. Problem being you can't get any additional wires in the conduit once someone places Romex in it. It never fails, I have to get a few wires in a conduit, I open the junction box and there is romex in it. Now I have to pull out the romex and install wires to replace the romex and wires for my new circuit. And trying to get it out after it's been in a conduit for a year or two is a real joy.