How to configure driver for RS-232 DF1 Device??

eshan3012

I am trying to configure driver RS-232 DF1 device for AB SLC 5/04 plc through RS link but its showing error "Failed to find the baud & parity ! check all cables & switch settings.

Please explain a bit more about how you are connecting.
Using real serial port or USB to serial adapter (what type)
What cable are you using?
Is your D9 Channel 0 port you are calling RS232 really set for RS232 or is it set for DH485.
You are connecting to the D-9 port correct?

Give a bit more detail as to what you have and exactly what your are doing and someone will be able to guide you to get it to work.

Also if you are using a USB - Serial adapter not all work well, but you for sure want to check and see what com port it is assigned to and set that same com port in the Linx.

If your D-9 port on the processor is set to DH-485 then you will need a 1747-UIC or you will have to set the port back to RS232.

But we wont know this until you supply a bit more info.

If you unplug the cable from the port what is your RS232 led on the processor doing? Nothing...Blinking....other?

That should give you some things to find out and get back to the forum with so someone can help you out.

Also, can you test (have you tested) this on another SLC?
Or test this SLC on another PC?

What BCS says, the LED should tell you the configuration of the channel (232/485) BLINKY or NOT.

I am connecting PLC with RS232 serial cross cable with a serial to usb adapter,serial cable having 9 pin connector at both end.
i tested comm port for usb adapter & found that usb adapter is working & PC is deducting usb adapter at all port.
Here i am writing you all setting for driver configuration.
COmm Port - COM1, device - PLC-CHO, Baud rate - 19200( itried with all athor baud rate also), station Number - 00, Parity - None, Error Checking - BCC, Protocol - Full duplex, Stop bits - 1.

Change your device from PLC-CH0 to SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview
Then retry the auto config. PLC-CH0 is for PLC-5 Processors.

First thing that I see is if you are using a USB to Serial Adapter as you say you are then I will bet that your adapter is not using COM1.
You need to look in you Device Manager on your PC and see what com port your adapter is using.
Then set the com port # in Linx configuration to match the com port your adapter is using on your pc.

Edit: Mickey snuck in there while I was typing

Many USB/RS232 adapters won't support the Autoconfigure function at all.

Just set the driver for the default settings of the SLC-5/04 serial port (you already listed them) and ignore the Autoconfigure button.

The quick way to verify that the RS-232 port of the SLC-5/04 is not configured for DH485 protocol is to disconnect the cable. If it blinks about once per second, it's set for DH485. If it stays off, it's probably set for DF1.

It's possible that the port is also set for ASCII or to be Disabled, but usually a user knows about that because the port is connected to an ASCII device.

Thank you, Sergei. It was late and I'd been drinking wine and browsing the Forum.

Mickey is of course correct; the "it" I was referring to is the status LED for the Channel 0 RS-232 port.

Serial cables, mercifully, do not blink. Unless you've had more wine.

Ok, to look at this another way - my SLC 5/03 has the DH485 light blinking, but I am trying to connect using the RS232 port, via a serial cable and the 1747-UIC.
The 1747-UIC device looks healthy as both USB and DH485 lights are blinking, but my SLC refuses to communicate. The COM port is 3, and RSLinx looks as though it is configured correctly, and running with the parameters stated in the SLC User Guide.
Whilst not straight out of the box, the SLC has been lying not powered for a few years.

I do not have a DH485 cable, it appears to be missing in action somewhere on site.

Any thoughts/advice about what is next to allow me to get online? (apart from spend my millions on a Rockwell DH485 cable)

Last edited: