Best Practice New computer Install?

jasil

We have new computers weeeeeeee lol and a lot of Rockwell and other software to install.

The "other software" is no problem, but Rockwell what are you guys doing when you have 1/2 older stuff RsLogix V15-20.01 with some SLC 500 etc as well and 1/2 newer stuff V22-25 ?

Are you doing 2 VMware sessions 1 XP and 1 Windows 7? Or 1 VMware Windows 7 utilizing Virtual XP to run the old stuff?

I like the thought of having one VM session.......I probably have 7 now, but since we are trying to standardize this I'm just wondering what current best practice is.

I called Rockwell they advised Windows 7 Pro and using Virtual XP.

Are you an integrator or in house engineering and maintenance? That makes a lot of difference?

How many computers are we talking?

Do you have volume licensing for your windows OS?

As an integrator I want to have lots of VM's for different software configs because each customer I go to may be using different version of Logix and FT View and other packages.

If I am an in house guy I should know what I have and where it's at and what versions I am running so I can use that info to determine what versions I need and what is compatible and how many VM's I need.

I run noting but office on my host and everything else in a VM. I like to put Rockwell and Siemens and etc. in a VM of it's own then in each brand I may have a VM for Logix 5000 to cover the version I need and a version of FT view that I need or multiple If I support multiple version of FT View.

The point I am trying to make is it's very dependent on your needs so it's hard to make what someone is is doing work for you.

I agree 100%................a guess a more specific question is why is Rockwell saying use Windows 7 with Virtual XP versus 2 VM sessions?

Has anyone had problems using Virtual XP?

I'm in house we use VM for Siemens, Automation Studio, and Rockwell. It would be nice to just have 1 VM session for all things Rockwell if possible hence the question.

Last edited:
I use two VMWare virtual computers; one with XP SP3 for the older software, one with Windows 7 Professional for the newer software. The host is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

I've only used "Windows XP Virtual Mode" in Windows 7 once, and it was such a pain to keep straight which folders and users and permissions belonged to which OS, I gave up on it.

For Rockwell software we actually have 3 VM's.

One is Windows XP for RSView 32 and Panelbuilder, one is Windows 7 64-bit which has every other piece of Rockwell software installed and is most commonly used day-to-day, the final one is a linked clone of this Win 7 64-bit VM specifically for installing Studio 5000 V21.03.

Rockwell software all the new stuff seems to run well on windows 7 pro. Runs 500 , studio 5000 etc. I also have an XP VM for some of the older stuff which I don't use very often I sometimes run a 500 simulator which seems to run better on XP