PC Question

Ok my job provided me with a laptop of course and it seems to be decent. Its a hp probook 650 g1 and it is actually a model that has been upgraded with 8gb of ram. it does a decent job until I start multitasking as in running 2 or 3 versions of rslogix 5000, factory talk and insight explorer at the same time which is very common for me to do depending on my task. It then starts to lag and open programs slow and sometimes rslogix lags badly. I figured 8GB of ram would be plenty but im not pc guru or builder. I have done some research and I think my lag is coming from my HDD. I am looking into upgrading to a SDD since I don't think there going to shell out for a new pc yet since this ones only a few months old. Has anyone else had these problems and upgraded? Just looking for some feedback to see if I am on the right track. Thanks

I have a HP Omen gamers laptop with a gamers 8 thread CPU, 16gig RAM and a 640GB SSD - it goes off into dreamland sometimes just running one program. I do not like HP laptops these days. Had to buy one in a hurry - dead Ethernet port in my old Dell - usually get Dell to build one for me. I miss the Dell - 17" high res screen - the lot. Will have to see if I can get it repaired and give the HP to the missus. 16GIG will be quite a bit better though.

Yes, I upgraded to SDD and it was a world of difference. I bought a cradle (DVD slot), and moved my old drive to the cradle for my documents and back up of programs. Run the rest on my SDD. Worth the money.

I would also look into doubling your RAM to 16 GB, it won't cost you that much either.

Im looking at an upgrade kit from kingston. 480gb ssd and 16 gb ram chips for 300. Comes with everything to flash my new ssd with all my files on my hdd. Would this be a good kit?

Try right-clicking your task bar at the bottom of the screen, and opening the Task Manager. Inside the Performance tab, you can see where your holdup is at. If your RAM is full, then add more RAM. If your HDD is at maximum transfer, then moving to a SSD will help.
Getting the visual from there will really help.

I run 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, and an I7 @ 2.5GHZ.
I don't wait very often.

I have a SSD and it make a work of difference especially in boot and document access. BUT if the reason your multiple applications are running slower is because you are cashing(sp) to your HDD due to insufficient RAM then get more RAM.
jawolthus offered good advice to determine the root cause of your issue.

Ok so i just talked to the it guys at work and they told me to pick a laptop i think will do the job and get a price. The other vontrols guy is running a macbook pro 15. Ita the high end version. Should i go this route or maybe a higher end dell or thinkpad?

The Dell Precision series are nice machines and you can pack in the resources for running multiple VM's but they are heavy and you feel it when traveling with it a lot and all your other carry on gear.

I have a MacBook Pro with VMware Fusion. It works great.
This. I've allocated 2 gigabytes of 8 to the virtual machine and have run very well, barring the random FATAL ERROR (this is Studio 5K v24). However, no FactoryTalk software - we migrated ViewStudio alone to a VM on our cluster that's shared by anyone needing it. Nice side effect is that there's only one place to hunt for the most recent HMI version.
The newer versions of RS Logix 5000 / Studio 5000 are real resource hogs also.
v20 was an absolute pig - it would start okay then grind to a halt after running for an hour or more.

Last edited:
Can i get a high end dell with windows 7? Seems like all the new fast pcs only have windows 8 or 10

I think you can still buy the customized units with windows 8 and it has downgrade rights to windows 7 and with windows 8 purchased you can sign up for and download your free windows 10 upgrade and install it later down the road if you wish.

How about the msi ws60 or thinkpad w550? These look good. The hp zbook looks nice also but i just havent had good luck with hp. These will all be the 16gb ram and ssd models