Flex I/O Question

kezin

Hi guys
I have to do a presentation tomorrow about my project tomorrow.

My project was basically to make 8 cylinders extend in a sequence. Each cylinder contains two sensors to detect its status (retracted/extended), and then it sends signal to the PLC. The cylinders and sensors are all connected to the Flex I/O PLC and I am supposed to run the program on RS Logix 5000 and download it on another PLC ( Allen Bradley ControlLogix). Then I connect both PLCs in a Remote I/O channel.

Now my question is:
What's the purpose of the Flex I/O? I have to explain it in class why this project needs 2 PLCs to run
Couldnt I just use the ControlLogix PLC and connect all the sensors and cylinders on it?

THanks for the help

Is the "Flex PLC" actually a Remote I/O Adapter, part number 1794-ASB ?

Or is it an obsolete FlexLogix controller ?

that would be to easy for a nice project, as now you will need to learn how communication works instead of wiring to a remote place.