The speed of a Devicenet Network

Rob S.

Good Evening ,

I have a customer that has a clutch that energizes about every 1/2 second
or a little less. Since they purchased the machine about 7 years ago they have had random problems with this clutch circuit not stopping or stopping premature. It is on a DeviceNet network. This network has about 70 Inputs and Outputs on it. What is the speed of a DeviceNet network , and do you think that this could be related to the problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Since they have had the problem consistently since the machine was installed, I would rule out a malfunction, and agree with you it might be a configuration/network issue.

It is not the number of I/O points on the network that is relevant to the equation. What we need to know is the number of "devices", aka "nodes" on the network, since devices can deliver many I/O points.

We will also need to know the network speed (Baud Rate).

Do you have a devicenet configuration file for this network (eg. *****.dnt) ?

Don't know if you'll be able to post it on here, but you should be able to send it to me by PM or email...

It's impossible to determine the data exchange speed without measuring it with an analyzer, but you can estimate.

The default "interscan delay" is 10 milliseconds, and as a rule of thumb I add 2 ms per device to get a rough estimate.