NOP in STL - Step7

Pete.S.

Hi guys!

I was wondering why I've seen some guys put a lot of NOP in their STL code.

For example:
Code:
CALL FC4
NOP 0

What is the purpose of this? NOP doesn't do anything.

Thanks,
Pete

Also if you have a very big FBD/LAD network. Switching it to stl and adding NOP 0 to the bottom will keep it in STL when you switch back to FBD/LAD. This is useful if you have dozons of or/and ports. IE:

Code:
A bla1
O bla2
O bla99
O bla100
= blop

NOP 0

Also if you have a very big FBD/LAD network. Switching it to stl and adding NOP 0 to the bottom will keep it in STL when you switch back to FBD/LAD. This is useful if you have dozons of or/and ports. IE:

Makes sense. But if was compatible with both and you wanted it to show up default as STL (or LAD) would it be possible to change that?

In block properties there are "Created in Language" but it's read only...

Makes sense. But if was compatible with both and you wanted it to show up default as STL (or LAD) would it be possible to change that?

As far as I know, as long as the logic is compatible with both, it will open as whatever you used last.

You can switch between languages when you open the block. View>LAD/STL/FBD.
Or these shortcuts Ctrl+1 = LAD ,Ctrl+2 = STL, Ctrl+3 = FBD

As far as I know, as long as the logic is compatible with both, it will open as whatever you used last.

Thats true, The block will display the last language which it was saved in. Networks that are not possible to be displayed in FBD/LAD will default to STL.

Sidenote: Always switch to FBD/LAD when adding variables to the temp area of a FB. When in STL it could cause problems with the local addres the auto generated stuff of the FBD/LAD networks.

Last edited:
Sidenote: Always switch to FBD/LAD when adding variables to the temp area of a FB. When in STL it could cause problems with the local addres the auto generated stuff of the FBD/LAD networks.

^I want to emphasize this. It's super important. Step 7 sometimes warns you about it, but it is really easy to ignore.

Thats true, The block will display the last language which it was saved in.

That's the gotcha. You have to SAVE the block or it will always open the same way regardless if you change the language.