ML1400 CIP MSG to ABB880

cyoung120

Hi guys. Hoping someone can give me a hand. I am trying to set up a Generic CIP message from a Micrologix 1400 to a ABB ACS880 VFD via a FENA-11 adapter. I downloaded the sample code from ABB's library and duplicated it in my program and was unsuccessful in establishing communications. At that point, I figured that I missed something, so I took the sample code project, changed the controller (ML1200 to ML1400) and downloaded in. Still unsuccessful. The error that I am getting is d6 and the message is "Connection timed out by the network". I searched knowledgebase and found a technote saying that if security is enabled on the device this error is generated but this was in reference to a power module or something, not an ABB drive.
I have all devices connected thru an Unmanaged Stride switch that is new. I am able to ping everything from laptop. Using Drive Composer Pro I am able to browse and change the drives parameters.
I have contacted both ABB and AB tech support. AB suggested that I flash the PLC up to the newest FW (11 to 15.04) which I did. Still no go.

The program is attached. Please take a look and see if I am missing something.

Thanks in advance

The 0xd6 error code is pretty clear; the Connection really is failing.

Is there any sort of option you need to set up on the FENA-11 module to enable EtherNet/IP, versus any of the other Ethernet protocols ?

A very simple tool to verify that an EtherNet/IP stack is running is called TCPing, by Eli Fulkerson. It allows you to send a TCP connection request over to the port of your choice, so it's similar to PING, but with TCP instead of ICMP.

If you can "TCPing 192.168.10.235 44818" and get a response, you'll know the drive is correctly configured to run EtherNet/IP (44818 is the standard port for all EtherNet/IP TCP messages).

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the fast response. As far as setting up the FENA-11, I set parameter 51.02 to EtherNet/IP protocol: ODVA AC/DC drive
profile. I also went thru the parameters with ABB tech support just to double check myself and all seemed to be correct.
Tomorrow I will definitely try and TCPing as you suggested and go from there.

Of course be sure to do a full power cycle and check that parameter again. Lots of major mode settings like that write to nonvolatile memory but are not read again until the system has rebooted.

I've actually had pretty good luck reading and writing to the RENA adapters, though from ControlLogix.

My thoughts on actually attempting to run the command and frequency reference from a MicroLogix via messaging... well, that's a big and colorful topic.

Also; I took a second look at that program and noticed that B3:0/0 is in parallel with the timer bit that triggers the first MSG, and the B3:0/5 is in parallel with the timer bit that triggers the second MSG.

If those stay True, the MSG will never be triggered again, so you don't get any repeated attempts. That 0xD6 connection timeout might be from a long-ago attempt.

MSG instructions require a false -> true transition of the rung conditions to execute.

Ken,

I put those bit in there so I could toggle the MSG instruction. My thinking was that the .DN bit was not staying true long enough to complete the message.

I've actually had pretty good luck reading and writing to the RENA adapters, though from ControlLogix.

Same here. Recently set up 10 ACS550 no problem with ContolLogix. Thought this was going to be a piece of cake....

My thoughts on actually attempting to run the command and frequency reference from a MicroLogix via messaging... well, that's a big and colorful topic.

I read some of your posts earlier today on the subject. For this application, I am sending the start and stop command via a digital signal and the speed ref and feedback will be 4-20. The reason for the MSG is more for HMI display information (current, drive temp ect) so it is not critical that I get it working but it sure would be nice.....

Once again, Thank you for you help!

The .DN bit is an "okay" method for triggering a MSG instruction, because it is true for just one scan when the Timer is programmed to self-reset like that.

The rung only has to go from False to True during one program scan for the MSG to be executed.

But I don't like using only the self-resetting Timer /DN bit to trigger a MSG, because if the message fails to complete before the timer cycles again, the MSG instruction will be triggered again and put into the buffer. Eventually the controller will run out of buffer space, which could affect other functions.

Go ahead and use just those two B3:0/x bits as triggers, so you can manually and clearly see the MSG attempt to execute.

Keep us posted !

Hi Guys
Sorry for the delayed response, things got kinda of busy and I am just now getting a chance to return to this. I have done as Ken had suggested and try "TCPing". Using that utility, I receive a response from the FENA-11 adapter. I am however still unable to talk get my MSG instructions to complete without the .ER bit going high the the following error message "Connection timed out by the network"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take a step back and try to do a simple "Get Attribute Single" with Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 1.

If that succeeds, you can switch to the appropriate Class/Instance/Attribute for the object you want.

But I don't like using only the self-resetting Timer /DN bit to trigger a MSG, because if the message fails to complete before the timer cycles again, the MSG instruction will be triggered again and put into the buffer. Eventually the controller will run out of buffer space, which could affect other functions.
Not to hijack the thread, but how do you recommend to trigger a repeated MSG instruction like the original poster's? I've always just used timers but am curious about a better way.

Thanks!

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you recommend to trigger a repeated MSG instruction like the original poster's? I've always just used timers but am curious about a better way.

Use a timer to increment a counter and use a compare instruction based on counters .ACC value to enable message instruction.