PLC and DeviceNet

dimspa

Hi everybody,
I need your opinion.
I am a student and it is time to do my Master Thesis. My target is to learn PLC programming and the Kuka Language.
I asked for doing the Master Thesis on KUKA robot and the only available topic is `Build a Robot (KUKA) - Conveyor System with a PLC Controller and Devicenet`.
My problem is the Devicenet (the robot has only devicenet interface). Many people told me that it is very old and not useful anymore.
Also I am in Europe and they told me that here Profibus is more in use.
On the other hand, the person who offers me this topic told me that the network is not that important and that I don't have to worry about this since my target is PLC and Kuka (and networking is something that you can learn and change anytime).
Is he right? I don't want to learn something which is useless for finding a lob.
I would like to know as many opinions as possible.
Thank you in advance.

Do not know about Kuka but gave away using Device Net years ago PITA!

Devicenet is still actively used in new systems and is very robust when design criteria is followed correctly. Mostly used in Allen Bradley systems but I've also used it with GE plcs.

Profibus is also popular and easy to use, especially in Siemens based systems, just does not have as many "features" in my opinion.

On the other hand, the person who offers me this topic told me that the network is not that important and that I don't have to worry about this since my target is PLC and Kuka (and networking is something that you can learn and change anytime).

So EtherNet-IP has replaced DeviceNet in many applications, and Profinet has replaced Profibus so the fieldbus selection may not be important. Sorry, I can't comment if Kuka supports either of them but I suspect "yes". Check out www.robot-forum.com for information.

Generally serial communication is being replaced by ethernet, e.g. Devicenet to EthernetIP and Profibus to Profinet etc., so when you start your first new project, you will probably chose an ethernet solution.
In this industry though, alot of machines are designed to run 30 years+ and serial communication is not going away any time soon.
Eventually you are going to be dealing with both, so it doesn't matter which one you start with (unless you only deal with new systems).
I don't think you should concern yourself with the type of network being used, but put your efforts into writing a good program instead.

About the use of Profibus in Europe; I've programmed just as many Rockwell PLCs as I have Siemens PLCs, and I've programmed Siemens PLCs for American companies. It all boils down to cost, and to what the integrator prefers (if he's given the choice).

Cost is often a very large consideration. I have used Device Net in the past but these days generally use either CompoNet, twisted pair screened and just works superbly well or Ethernet IP. Problem with Ethernet IP is the IT guys want to own it.

I've actually had more problems commisioning the ethernet networks than anything. Installers seem to get lazy on how they route cables when they see they're pulling ethernet verses the others.

I wouldn't stress about which network you use, as long as all your equipment is compatible. There are pros and cons all around, but your sponsor is right, you'll learn new networks as you go.