GE Series 3

elevmike

So about 15 years ago we installed two units with GE Series 3 PLCs. These are the ONLY Series 3 units we ever installed, and were programmed through the keypad on the CPU, and the code was backed up on an audiable cassete tape. About 3 years ago we lost both CPUs within a month. Fortunately we had replacements and I played back the tape into the CPU only to find a fair amount of errors that took a day or so to manually correct via the keypad. I then went out a got new high quality tapes, (if there is really such a thing), and succusfully recorded and verified the programs.

So now the building is shut down and the owner has it up for sale. When they finally sell it, I just know I'm gonna get a call....And I'm not sure my tapes will be any good when they do. So before time takes it's toll I like to find a better medium for storing the programs. Possably on an audio file on CD or a hard drive. OR if at all possable find the software to decode the tapes and backup the program. My first thought is to play the tapes into the sound card on my PC and then write it to a CD.

So... Has anyone out there have any other suggestions, or comments??

What do ya think??

Thanks, Mike.

Thanks Paul,

Now I know I've got to find a way to better store the tapes. That thread indicated that ther are rung limititations in Logicmaster that I know the program far exceeds. I'm thinking of trying to store the program on an audio CD, but I'm not too sure the analog to digital conversion of the audio tape will damage the intregerty of the program. Another thought would be to vaccumm seal the tapes to prevent oxidizing.

Hey guys,

We had a problem a while back with a Series One plc,
The CPU bit the dust and had to be replaced.
There was a backup copy of the program on tape,
It was loaded through the front mounted programmer,
The transfer was flawless but the machine(case stacker) would not
run properly. After many hours of head scratching we realized that
the timer and counter values had been changed via the programmer and
not saved back to tape.

Please let us know if the tape to CD works,
I need to back-up a few myself.