GPS module

vin7102

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings,

Im looking to implement getting GPS coordinates into my Micrologix 1500. I'm using LRP CPU's and have 1 spare RS232 connection available. Anyone know of a GPS unit I can plug into the spare 232 or have any other suggestions (or tips) on where to start this journey? Thanks...

Another vote for Garmin OEM versions.

GPS 19X if you want even an even more rugged unit. It uses RS422 though.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/oem/sensors-and-boards/gps-19x-hvs/prod100686.html

Protocol for GPS is NMEA 0183: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183

The Garmin OEM units can be programmed which messages they should send and when.

Cheaper units are not as good or fast to lock in their position and if you build something you might be hard pressed to find another replacement unit in the future.

Last edited:
Bizarrely I've just been asked to connect a GlobalSat BR355-S4 to a PLC (Unitronics) and was just going to ask if anyone had done the same!
Have a bump for your thrread, free gratis and for nothing

Thanks Guys,

Looking into all of the suggestions posted here. In the mean time I found another little device that I ordered HERE. I contacted the support people there and they said direct link to 232 was possible. I have one on the way and will post results..

Not sure how yet, I'm guessing it's not going to be as straight forward as what the "tech" guy made it out to be, but for $30 bucks I guess it's worth a shot. I'll most likely end up using a usb type module and writing some vb to push the data out to the HMI. Then to the Micro from there. I'll keep you posted!