Tag monitor

Firejo

I’m working on testing some possible new high speed radios and I’d like to be able to monitor, in the ladder logic, the status of a consumed tag. In other words I’d like to count each time the connection fails. Other than creating a watchdog setup (move a value and look for its return) is there a way to monitor the status of a tag I.E. if the connection broke?

I appreciate the feedback but the links you sent require a technical contract with Rockwell that I don’t have.
Thanks

Ok. There's a manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm011_-en-p.pdf

Check page 18. When you declare a tag as consumer or producer, the Connection button is enabled. If you click on that button, you'll get a popup with 2 tabs: Connection and Status (you need RSLogix 17 or superior). On Status tab you can read:

Connection Status is included when the tags data type is a user defined data type whose first member is CONNECTION STATUS
I'm not sure how to interpret CONNECTION_STATUS value. Maybe you'd need to made some tests to discover a pattern (something like "0 = bad communication, any other number = good communication).

Turns out you have to create a user defined array with the first tag being a “Connection Status” type tag. You then create a tag in the Controller using the user defined array as the data type. When you do that you will get a connection status tag that has two elements, a “Run Mode” which is a “1” when the connection for that tag array is good and a “Connection Failure” which is a “1” when it’s not.