Re-hosting RSLogix 500

Braaap498

I wanted to run this past some of the more experienced Rockwell users here. I'm relatively new to Rockwell Automation products.

I have an old PC (Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3) with RSLogix 500 (Version 7.10.00 CPR 7) and I am going to re-host the activation to my current PC (Windows 7 Professional SP1). So far I have downloaded two software updates. The first is Version 9.00.00. This I will use to update the software on the XP machine so it will be compatible with Windows 7 when I re-host. The second is Version 9.05.01. This I will use to update the software once the re-host is complete.

My primary questions are:
1. Is it correct I can update older versions without needing to uninstall them first?
2. Once my software is updated on my XP machine how does the re-hosting work?
3. Do the activation and the software move together? If not, what is the best way to remove the software and move it?
4. I have a USB Dongle for the software. Does it contain the activation, eliminating the need to transfer it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Ian Carlson

The license is what gets re-hosted, not the software itself. You should not have to do anything on the XP machine except start the re-host procedure.

On your Windows 7 machine go ahead and install the latest version (v10 I believe is the latest, but 9.05 is ok too) skipping the activation procedure. Without the license it will run in demo mode.

Once you have verified that it runs on your Windows 7 machine then go ahead and start the re-host procedure on the XP machine.

So:

#1 Uninstalling is not necessary. Nor is upgrading. Many programs automatically uninstall old versions in order to install newer versions.
#2 Use FactoryTalk Activation Manager to rehost and move the license
#3 Rehosting is all that is required. You are moving the license not the software
#4 You can use the dongle to store the license and then install the software on multiple PCs. Whichever PC has the dongle can use the software.

OG

Braaap498,

Exactly what is it you are trying to do?
You have an old xp system with the software installed.
You also have a new pc that is windows 7.

You want to move the license (rehost) from the old pc to the new pc, is this correct?

if it is, why are you updating the xp system software since it will no longer run when you remove the license?

To answer your questions.
1. when installing the newer version of software, the older version will be removed before the installation of the new software.
2. the programming software has nothing to do with rehosting the software.
Which version of software license are you using? the old everis software that used a floppy disk to move the license or the factory talk activation, or usb license dongle?
3. the activation will move, not the software.
4. Now that you mention the usb "DONGLE", is that what you use for the license key?

Please tell us what type of license you have so that we can move forward with your request.

regards,
james

Yes James. My only objective is to move the software to the newer computer. Now that I understand the software can exist on more than one computer I wont bother updating on the old XP system. I do have a USB Dongle that contains the license.

If I copy the software will I be able to just plug in the dongle and access the software. On the old machine in my Rockwell Software folder is the "Move Activation" tool. How is moving the activation different from using the dongle on multiple PC's?

Thanks guys for the assistance.
Ian

I may be totally wrong on this and others can correct me.

The usb dongle as I understand it has the license and you use the factory talk manager to look for the license on the dongle.

This is the way I understand it and I may be totally wrong.
I would look at your old pc and see how the license manager is configured.

james

I'm an Actively Activated Activations Activist...

I posted this explanation some time back on what exactly an Activation is (see post #7)...

RSLogix 500 Installation

...it might give you some grounding for the following...

Firstly, because you are using a USB Dongle, I know that you are currently using FactoryTalk Activation Manager on the XP workstation and not the older EVRSI version.

Secondly, because the USB Dongle is currently being used as the hardware Host ID for the Activation, I know that you should not need to Rehost anything. You have a Mobile Host ID.

Thirdly, the current license file for the Activation is either residing in the Activations folder on the XP workstation, or in user memory on the USB Dongle.

For it to be on the Dongle you would have to be using the newer version Dongle...

9509-USB-DONG2

...which has 2GB user memory. I think you are saying the license file is here?

If you are using the older version Dongle...

9509-USB-DONG

...then this has no user memory and the license file would have to be resident on the XP workstation.

If it's on the workstation and you have the older Dongle, then you can simply copy the license file (.lic) to the Activations folder on the Windows 7 workstation. This folder is present once FactoryTalk Activation Manager has been installed. This is a regular file copy/paste and is not a Rehost operation.

Else the license file is on a newer Dongle version.

Folder or Dongle, either option works.

The license file contains the information for the Activation. It links the serial number for the RSLogix 500 software with a specific hardware Host ID; in this case your USB Dongle.

Once in the correct folder, or on the Dongle, the Activation Server can load it into its available Activations list, ready to be used.

After installing whichever of the newer RSLogix 500 versions you want to use, plug in the USB Dongle to the Windows 7 workstation. The necessary HASP drivers will need to be installed to use the Dongle.

Once the software is attempted to be opened the Activation Server will refer to the loaded license file information and recognize the serial number and then look for the associated Host ID. Once it sees the Host ID is present, the software is now Activated for use.

This is a very simple procedure to perform. You do not need to touch anything on the XP workstation. In fact, because you are using a Mobile Activation, you would be able to run the software on both computers. You are simply adding another workstation to a multi-user setup.

This is, after all, exactly what the Mobile USB Dongle is designed to do.

Regards,
George