Powerflex 70 via Controlnet

rrparker07

Lifetime Supporting Member
We recently had a drive failure and was shocked to find (insert sarcastic laugh) that we didn't have one in stock. The drive was an EC model with the "C" for Controlnet in number. I attempted to replace it with identical drive with the exception of the "D" for Devicenet in the number. I tried unsuccessfully to use HIM copycat to transfer parameters due to family mismatch error. I thought that the designation on the model number was just for the communications card that was shipped with the drive. I know this sounds like a dumb question but is there a parameter that I can change to get this to work? I looked through the manual at all of the masks and other parameters but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance for your help.

All you have to do is, go to your well stocked in plant store a grab a 1788-CN2DN. That should solve your problem in just a few seconds.:ROFLMAO: Other than that, you might want to check and see if you can get on with a DF1 connection using Drive Exect. or CCW. Or wait until morning when the night sleeper are up and about. I'm sure they will know more.

Will.

The PowerFlex 70 "EC" in the model description (not the part number) meant "Enhanced Control".

PowerFlex part numbers do not include a position for the communication option board. Communication modules are always a separate line item and in my experience are only installed at the factory if you're buying them as part of an MCC bucket or an enclosed and packaged drive.

All PowerFlex 70 drives begin with "20A". The fourth character is the supply voltage; A for 240V, B for 400V, C for 480V, and E for 600V.

If the part number difference is the voltage designator, you'll have to figure out if that's workable for your system, and then go reconfigure the drive from scratch.

Ken,

You know me by now...

Ken roach said:
...PowerFlex part numbers do not include a position for the communication option board...

The third last Catalog Number position denotes the Comm Slot option...

Example: PowerFlex 70 Catalog Number

20A B 2P2 A 3 A Y Y N N C 0
____________________l
_________________Comm Slot

The default is...

N = None

...and is probably what most of us see. Our friend's is probably N and the 20-COMM-C was just added.

But if pre-ordered from the factory with any of the available adapters then it becomes...

C = ControlNet (Coax)
D = DeviceNet
E = EtherNet/IP

If the adapter is just added in by a Vendor or OEM then of course it does not.

Ken roach said:
...The fourth character is the supply voltage; A for 240V, B for 400V, C for 480V, and E for 600V

You just got muddled on the letters there a bit for the Voltage Rating. There is no A and you are missing the D, which will be important later...

____l
_Voltage Rating

B = 240V AC 3 Phase
C = 400V AC 3 Phase
D = 480V AC 3 Phase
E = 600V AC 3 Phase

Ken Roach said:
..."EC" in the model description (not the part number)...

The second last position designates whether the drive is Enhanced Control or not...

_____________________.l
________________Control & I/O

N = Standard Safe-Off N/A
C = Enhanced Safe-Off No
G = Enhanced Safe-Off Yes

As always it is better for you to post the full Catalog Number for both drives so we can make better informed decisions on how to advise you.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Hi Ken, maybe I am missing what your saying. Please see the attached. Position 14 of the model number is what I'm referring to. That was the only difference with the bad drive being a "C" and the replacement being a "D".

Screenshot_2016-03-16-15-30-14.jpg

Thanks George. We were posting at the same time. The only difference is that position 14. With the being said, there must be something I'm missing.

rrparker07,

I had just posted a reply before you did. Yes, that is what I was referring to.

So your original drive came with a ControlNet adapter and the replacement drive originally came with a DeviceNet adapter. The C & D on the sticker do not matter if you want to swap the adapters.

So, yes, it should be compatible.

G.