Eurotherm Temp Controllers

glaverty

Anybody here ever control the settings on a Eurotherm 2208 Series Temperature controller with a PLC? I have a project coming up and they have spec'd out 2208 controllers and want to be able to change the settings on the controllers via the PLC. That is they select the product they want to run and the PLC changes the Controller settings for them.

I checked out the Eurotherm website and it looks like they can talk devicenet or Modbus RTU, I'm leaning toward Modbus. I'll probably need to control 6 or so of the controllers. I'll be using a GE Fanuc 90-30 for the PLC.

Anybody had any luck doing anything like this?

I don't remember which series it was (2216e, I think), but I have managed to use Modbus RTU to control a pair of Eurotherm thermostats.

There's not much to it, except that the manual(s) aren't very clear about what the actual modbus addresses of your setpoints are. I remember being off by +/- 1 register to begin with. But, the manual gives a GREAT description of the Modbus protocol, right down to sample code for generating the CRC! Initially configuring the thermostats can be a bit of a chore. Once you've done one, though, it's no problem.

AK

glaverty said:
Anybody here ever control the settings on a Eurotherm 2208 Series Temperature controller with a PLC?

Yes, I have done it with AB using Modbus with one of the Prosoft cards but I cannot remember which one. It was actually pretty easy to set up, The controllers are pretty straightforward. They have to be special ordered with the communications option, which is built in England and takes forever to get. The standard manual that comes with the controllers will not help in the communications setup, so make sure that you order the right communications manual for the controller.

There are a ton of options that come with these controllers so make sure that you allot some time to get to know them.

Re: Re: Eurotherm Temp Controllers

Jnelson said:
They have to be special ordered with the communications option, which is built in England and takes forever to get. [/QUOTE

I think you must have used the older models where they had to soder the board into the controller. With the new models with an E after the number all you have to do is slide the board into them.

Thanks for the replies guys.