nec/nfpa/fm/ul/etc

jimpad

Hi All,

In addition to protecting my logic as described in earlier post I'm also looking for information as to what's required for code (not logic) compliance. I've always been under the impression NEC doesn't apply inside the enclosure, but it's an impression. Is it correct? What other codes apply inside the enclosure which I must conform to?

Thanks,
Jim

Whether NEC applies inside an enclosure I think depends on where you are. Different areas may have different rules as to what applies I think.
I follow NFPA79 inside an enclosure.

As a general design practice we build all our machines to meet NFPA79 unless another agency applies. For example, if we are building a machine going into Europe we need to meet the specific directives outlines for machinery entering the European Union. If we are send a machine into Chicago or Los Angeles we also need to have the control panels UL approved and that requires some additional details to be met.

As hd_coop said, you need to check to see what the area you are selling to requires. But as a general statement NFPA79 covers you pretty well inside the U.S.

Keith

Good advice abounds here, ALWAYS check local requirements. NEC is not a governing body, only a basis for safe electrical practices. As for the other question you might check out UL or CE if your building control panels for their compliance. UL can also give onsite training as to how to file "proceedures" and how to understand the compliance specs. One last thought, just because it is UL or CE compliant does NOT mean your application of the device is recognised!

bitmore

Last edited:
Originally posted by Bitmore:
One last thought, just because it is UL or CE compliant does NOT mean your application of the device is recognised!

I'm still pretty green on the whole CE thing since we don't do much in Europe. But given that you can self-certify in CE I could see where there isn't a solid distinction between compliant and authorized/recognized.

But with UL I thought that you weren't recognized until either:
1) you got that little sticker from a UL inspector
2) your panel was built by an authorized UL panelbuilder

In either case I thought that was the final word for UL. If what Bitmore is saying is true I can blow $2000 on an inspection at my facility and STIL get whacked for more money when the thing gets in the field because it doesn't pass inspection. Now THAT would suck.

Keith