SLC 5/05 Message Instruction Help

DavidWalter84

I have a SLC 5/05 and I am trying to read motor current from one of the Allen Bradley 193 E300 series overload units.

On the Rockwell site I found KB document # 731082 Access Everyone and I don't understand the example that well maybe because I have a limited understanding of the MSG instruction.

In the example I attached The message instruction has Data table address N7:0 and a size in bytes is 220 so bytes are a half 16 bit word correct so 8 bits per byte? So that is N7:0-N7:34 in their example?

I also don't understand what they are doing with the CPW instruction in the example. From my understanding the message instruction is only getting up to N7:34 but the CPW starts at N7:40 with a length of 62.

I need some help understanding this example. I have not done much with the older AB gear and message instructions as we normally do everthing with Produced /consumed tags.

Since bytes are 1/2 of a word the 220 bytes occupy N7:0 through N7:109 (110 words)

Apparently the data received in N7:40 and up is Real (floating point) data. It is unusable sitting in integer registers. The CPW command transfers the bit patterns from N7:40 and up into floating point registers where they are more usable. A MOV command would have tried to interpret the values in the N7 registers (totally messing them up) before transferring to float registers. Thus the CPW command.

I missed that the example is from a Micrologix. I don't see that the CPW command is available in the SLC 5/05.

It looks like the SLC 5/05 will accept a COPy between elements of different types.. Try using it instead of the CPW.

Last edited: