Logix 5000 MSG - Resolving DNS ?

JeremyM

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm setting up some controller-based email notifications for alarms, process conditions, and so on. Test emails fire great!

Along with this, I'd like to provide a technician interface on the HMI to set the appropriate 'to' and 'from' addresses, as well as the mail server.

All of this is working, but I am curious whether I can replace the MESSAGE object's source element (currently an IP address STRING) with the server's DNS name and rely on the Ethernet/IP module itself to resolve the IP address. DNS servers are correctly configured for the controllers and Ethernet/IP bridges, and so on. (in order to get emails working, a one-time MSG containing the server's address as the source element has to be triggered to configure the Ethernet/IP module to send emails) All per pages 70 - 82 of enet-um001

Thanks!

Last edited: