Loop Performance Package

kumar123

Hi,

This is not a PLC specific topic, but I am sure I will get repsonses from this site as there are lot many control gurus visiing this site.

Do you think 'Loop Performance Pakages' add real value to your process. If you were to select a 'Loop Performance Pacake' what you would look into and why would you go for one.

Loop performance package I mean is the one which optimizes the control loops (Regulatory loops-PID) and has loop tuning, loop tuning, power spectrum and auto-correlation etc.

Kumar

kumar123 said:
Hi,

This is not a PLC specific topic, but I am sure I will get repsonses from this site as there are lot many control gurus visiing this site.

Do you think 'Loop Performance Pakages' add real value to your process.

Yes, if the only problem is finding the PID gains. Even a good tuning package cannot make a PID control a system that can't be controlled by a PID alone. A major problem is that too many people think all they need is a PID and a PID can correct for poor design.

kumar123 said:
If you were to select a 'Loop Performance Pacake' what you would look into and why would you go for one.

I don't need one. I can fiqure it out my self. I would look a packages that try different models and provides a best one. I would make sure the tuning package also recommends good feed forward values.
Finally, I would choose a package that allows me to choose the response by placing the poles.

kumar123 said:
Loop performance package I mean is the one which optimizes the control loops (Regulatory loops-PID) and has loop tuning, loop tuning, power spectrum and auto-correlation etc.

Kumar
[/B]

Optimize? Define optimized. Which evaluation method would you use?
There are many evaluation methods ISE, ITAE, IAE etc. You should be able to choose one that fits your application. See my PID threads.

Power spectrum? Auto-correlation? Why? I know, they are fancy names that people like to throw around.