Uploading Programs From SLCs, Micrologix, & RSLogix5000

mmarch10

Hello, All.

I've been studying PLC for a while, but I've never really been able to get any real practical experience, with the exception of a little troubleshooting. I recently got my big chance. I took a position with a company that has SLCs, MicroLogix, CompactLogix, ControlLogix, and Panelview 1250s. I am very excited to get into this. I have already ran into a problem though. There are a couple of PLCs that I do not have the project file for. I can upload the program from the PLC, but it is without all rung & instruction descriptions. Is there any way that i can get this vital information without finding the person who made the last program change & hopefully still has the program???

Also, I am taking a course through George Brown University in order to get a better understanding of RSLogix 5000. Can anyone recommend an approach to studying FactoryTalk/Panelview Plus architecture?

Thank You!

In 5000 the comments and descriptions are stored in the processor so when you upload it is all there. In 500, you're pretty much screwed if you can't get the program from a disk or somebody's laptop.

In 5000 the comments and descriptions are stored in the processor so when you upload it is all there. In 500, you're pretty much screwed if you can't get the program from a disk or somebody's laptop.

This is a recent feature added to later versions of Studio 5000. Odds are existing equipment with any age is probably not up to these later version(s).

keshik said:
I think this showed up in version 21. It is a wonderful feature.

Yes, but not so wonderful for the OP...

Documented copies of these programs and projects should be the intellectual property of the company and not disappearing down the road on PLC Pete's laptop.

Every wonderfully brilliant piece of programming I may have ever written or am likely to write since joining my current multinational employer (that sounded unintentionally boastful!), is and always will be their property. It won't stop me "stealing" my ideas from them in the future, but I'm fully aware that they pay me well to do what I do using their very expensive software and equipment.

It often annoys me when I read these posts where a new employee is handed the baby with no diapers. Things can get very messy when the proverbial hits the you-know-what.

If it's just one or two controllers you have no comments for and it's unlikely you'll retrieve them from the author, then you may just have to tease your way through them and add your own. If you're more a beginner to all this and the programs are somewhat complicated, then this may not be such a simple task, or at least not yet.

FactoryTalk View Studio for the PanelView terminals has its good points and it's bad points, but with a little patience you should get to grips with it relatively quickly. The Forum alone here has a wealth of knowledge on its uses and issues so I'd highly recommended searching out any initial queries here and see what shows up.

Regards,
George