PLC system recover

chandrapaul

hi,
in my factory there is one AB PLC installed with scada installed in one dextop. we operate the whole process from the dextop computer. the plc is password protected,so can't download the prorgam.

is there any easy way to take the full backup from the dextop, so if the plc get damaged or any problem occurs in the dextop then i can reinstall the whole system newly again?

waiting for your kind feedback...

thanks

Not on the PLC. You can backup all the scada folders if you ever need to replace the computer, but for the PLC you would have to have the password from the machinery builder.

I've had pretty good luck always calling the machine builder for PLCs that are bought into our facility, and asking for all original or "as built" PLC programs and HMI programs. Its nice for some older PLCs that don't support dowloadable comments. You get all the manufacturer's comments. You still have to have the relevant PC programs to communicate to the PLCs, but we have those anyway.

Search the desktop computer for a PLC program file.

For the SLC-500 family controllers, the file extension will be *.RSS.
For the PLC-5 family controllers, the file extension will be *.RSP.
For the ControlLogix and CompactLogix family controllers, the file extension will be *.ACD.

If you have one of those files, you have a chance of being able to re-download it to the controller if the controller fails.

Also: In the PLC business, "Upload" means transferring the program from the PLC to an engineering workstation computer.

Ideally, you will get the password and source code for the controller. If the machine is important enough to own and operate, it's probably also important enough to be able to maintain.