Liquid level detection

brandoncosta

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Hi, I live in a rural area where the water supply works only a few hours weekly, and I use it to fill a 10,000 gallon tank. I'm looking for a sensor that can measure the water level in the tank and send this info in a digital way to my computer so I can track and control the water usage.

I'll appreciate any suggestion. Thanks in advance for your help.
[/FONT]

Another way of doing that is to measure the pressure at the bottom of the tank with a pressure transducer. The pressure will change as the level changes.
Either way you will need to convert an analog signal (0-10vdc, 4-20ma) into something your computer will understand. That means adding some sort of analog input to the computer or adding a digital readout that your computer can talk to.
Here is one panel mount meter that might work for you. https://www.predig.com/pd6000?field...402&field_transmitter_power_tid_selective=356

You could use a cheap plc with an analog input, that could communicate ethernet I/P to your home network, and use a simple HMI like AdvancedHMI to create a water level. I'm used to some of A-B's plcs, and I think there is an 1100 model that would do that. but the cost of the PLC+ultrasonic sensor, or bob system....your looking at quite a bit of expense to bring that into your PC. Do you require it to come to a PC for data into a database, or spreadsheet? If you are using the PC only as an indicator, there are surely cheaper options.

Unfortunately, when you get into industrial purchasing you find most suppliers move the decimal point one place in their favor.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Hi, I live in a rural area where the water supply works only a few hours weekly, and I use it to fill a 10,000 gallon tank. I'm looking for a sensor that can measure the water level in the tank and send this info in a digital way to my computer so I can track and control the water usage.

I'll appreciate any suggestion. Thanks in advance for your help.
[/FONT]

When you say control, do you intend to have some sort of automatic controls? Or do you want to remotely monitor the tank level and then decide how to use your water?
How much money do you/ can you spend? If you only need to monitor and record the level but no automatic controls I would use a datalogger that you would transfer the recorded data to a PC. That could be done inexpensively with a pressure transmitter and datalogger. No need to keep the PC running to record the data.
I am sort of doing this to monitor the river level behind my house. I can track the level and determine when I need to move stuff, put up barrier walls and sandbags. I use an Ebay purchased ultrasonic sensor and digital E +H data recorder. Works great but no control and cost $2000 or so.
What is the height of your storage tank? Pressure is an inexpensive way to do level. Ebay transducer could be as cheap as $20. Ultrasonic is much more expensive and could have a few issues if not installed properly.
For a recorder check Omega. Depending how you need to do your thing you can get by as cheap as under $100 to $1000 for one device to be monitored. Omega has some newer wireless units in the $500 range.

you could also go with floats. you can get stainless steel floats on ebay for $5 shipped. you could put 3 floats on your tank and then pump if bottom and or mid float is tripped until top float clears. this wont give you exact level but could be done without even needing a pc for very cheap.

Flowline makes a really good tank level ultrasonic aimed at the water industry. It will not be cheap, but you can configure it to send you volume or level information:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...vel_Sensors_(Non-contact)/Software_Configured

Getting the data across the www to your house is a whole other subject and there are too many possibilities to dive into without further refining the details of your overall needs and what equipment you already have on site.