Powerflex 40. Output Current vs Torque Current

Tharon

I was looking at the Display Group parameters on a couple of our Powerflex 40s that were having OL faults today. And I noticed there were two display options for Current:

d003 - Output Current
d029 - Torque Current

Could someone help me understand the difference between those two? I didn't see anything in the Manual (22B-UM001H) but I suspect that they are defined terminology that I should probably already know.

Thanks.

Some of the current going to the motor is just turning the copper and steel from being a bad excuse for a boat anchor into a spinning motor, then some of the current is actually producing torque. The Output Current reading is ALL of the current going to the motor inclusive of the torque producing current, the Torque Current is telling you how much of the current is actually producing torque. Essentially if the motor is unloaded, more of the current flowing into it is reactive current due to the poor motor Power Factor, vs when fully loaded almost ALL of the current will be torque producing current. This is something that only really matters when you are in Vector mode, because in V/Hz mode the VFD is not really tracking the difference, it just looks at the total current. If you compared d022 and d023, Output Power and Outpur Power Factor, you would see the relationships to all of those values.

Funny, this same issue came up in another thread just today on 755 drives...

Last edited:
Ok, makes a bit more sense. This motor is running just in V/Hz mode. And the load was definitely up there, the Torque Current was reading 7.0A on the drive, and the FLA of the motor is 3.3A, with drive Overload Current set to 3.4A

I think I may need a larger motor for the application (Sawing).