Unity pro XL - Schneider, ST

bajsmannen

Hello guys!

I need help with a simple program using Unity PRO XL. The plc is a Schneider and I need to program it in ST.

Is there anyone here with that kind of knowledge? I am willow to pay you if you help me. I want to learn but there isn't much information on this topic.

Have you read the manual in Unity? I learnt ST using the help file alone. All your function blocks can be accessed. Unless you're planning some very serious logic I'd give it a go, it's not hard if you're already familiar with Unity and LAD or FBD.

Hello guys!

I need help with a simple program using Unity PRO XL. The plc is a Schneider and I need to program it in ST.

Is there anyone here with that kind of knowledge? I am willow to pay you if you help me. I want to learn but there isn't much information on this topic.

Before you start offering to pay people it may be worth telling them what it is that you are trying to achieve in ST.

As above, its really not that difficult and with Unity PLC simulator its pretty easy to test and debug.

Have you read the manual in Unity? I learnt ST using the help file alone. All your function blocks can be accessed. Unless you're planning some very serious logic I'd give it a go, it's not hard if you're already familiar with Unity and LAD or FBD.

Thanks for answering!

Do you mean the 1752 pages long pdf-file? No I haven't read it :)

The program will be very simple. It's a simple trafic light.

My pseudo-code looks something like this:

IF push_button1:=1
then DIOD_1 HIGH
delay 3s
then DIOD_2 HIGH
delay 2s
etc...

I know nothing about the syntax in Unity PRO XL.

If you could help me make the program (I'll pay) I will learn by simply looking at the code. Please thrust me here. I want to learn. I just need a shortcut (that's why I'm paying) because lack of time.

Cheers

Thanks for answering!

Do you mean the 1752 pages long pdf-file? No I haven't read it :)

The program will be very simple. It's a simple trafic light.

My pseudo-code looks something like this:

IF push_button1:=1
then DIOD_1 HIGH
delay 3s
then DIOD_2 HIGH
delay 2s
etc...

I know nothing about the syntax in Unity PRO XL.

If you could help me make the program (I'll pay) I will learn by simply looking at the code. Please thrust me here. I want to learn. I just need a shortcut (that's why I'm paying) because lack of time.

Cheers

Time ? That will take about an hour to write, just have a go and see what happens, its not controlling anything for real so what's the worst that can happen......

The syntax is all in the help, just search the phrase around the syntax you need.

Also writing it in ladder may be easier that ST, any reason why you HAVE to do it in ladder ?

In the UK consultancy and programming is around £1250 a day, most don't charge by the hour so if you want to papal me £1250 I will take a look at it for you......

Or you could try this http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=4931302 there is examples in ladder that you could convert to ST and it will cost you £00.00

Cheers

Last edited:
Time ? That will take about an hour to write, just have a go and see what happens, its not controlling anything for real so what's the worst that can happen......

The syntax is all in the help, just search the phrase around the syntax you need.

Also writing it in ladder may be easier that ST, any reason why you HAVE to do it in ladder ?

In the UK consultancy and programming is around £1250 a day, most don't charge by the hour so if you want to papal me £1250 I will take a look at it for you......

Or you could try this http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=4931302 there is examples in ladder that you could convert to ST and it will cost you £00.00

Cheers

Thank you! The link isn't working. =<

I don't even know the basics of Unity pro XL. Well I can set up the PLC with modules and stuff - but nothing more. I don't like it at all. It's messy - and I don't think people use it alot compared to other software.

I'm a student and so I don't own £1250 unfortunately.

I guess it's time to start reading then...

hi bajsmannen,

I use ST in unity pro all the time for programming constraint solving algorithms. ST sometimes is the right tool for the job and the end result is more legible than trying to implement the same logic in function block or ladder. It is a bit more work to produce output and displays for debugging and monitoring the steps in my ST logic but it is a great tool to have in your belt.

why you have to program with ST?

go with FBD (Function block diagram, SFC (sequential function chart or ladder, they are much simpler than starting directly with ST

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=60621

From what I've read FBD, ladder and SFC is dying out. Well of course there's still machines out there programmed this way but I can't see any reason why I should use/learn it. I know how to "read" ladder and thats enough. I've done some ladder and FBD using GX developer but it's just time wasting.

I've programmed C, C++, VHDL, VB, python and arduino before and I'm finding it the simplest and most time effecient way.

Any program language is easy learning(but not mastering of course) using the internet(youtube lectures etc) but there are just few videos on Unity pro XL ST and they are on Spanish.

From what I understand there is a standard (IEC-61131-3) but it's not much as a standard. A list of operands and syntax would be nice but can't find it.

I am pretty desperate here...

Thanks for reply guys

From what I've read FBD, ladder and SFC is dying out. Well of course there's still machines out there programmed this way but I can't see any reason why I should use/learn it. I know how to "read" ladder and thats enough. I've done some ladder and FBD using GX developer but it's just time wasting.

I've programmed C, C++, VHDL, VB, python and arduino before and I'm finding it the simplest and most time effecient way.

Any program language is easy learning(but not mastering of course) using the internet(youtube lectures etc) but there are just few videos on Unity pro XL ST and they are on Spanish.

From what I understand there is a standard (IEC-61131-3) but it's not much as a standard. A list of operands and syntax would be nice but can't find it.

I am pretty desperate here...

Thanks for reply guys

It gonna take decades before ladder dies if ever. ST is efficient but more important is program which works, is easy to modify and troubleshoot.
ST is only one program language which is good to know, but you need to understand others also

Trust me... LAD and FBD are two types of languages not going anywhere. And Unity Pro is an awesome IDE compared to plenty of others. To me it just sounds like you're lazy. Put in the effort if you want a result. I'm happy to post some example ST for a pump availability array sorter that I wrote last week if you need an example.

I only started using Unity and modicon processors about 4 years ago. I had to learn by myself, on 3 rather complex wastewater treatment plants. All I used was the existing code and the help files. That was on top of my normal 50 hours a week of work. If some old bugger like me can figure it out, you can.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: where did you read that **** ? You might want to think again, very hard this time.

I wouldn't entertain employing anybody in my team who didn't understand or couldn't write ladder or FBD, ST would be the least of my concern, in fact a non concern.

Mitsubishi/Modicon/Schneider has always been about the ladder, I would guess 90% of the total install base is ladder, certainly any legacy stuff you come across will be ladder, so if you have any intentions of getting into the PLC industry get learning ladder.

If you are just doing PLC as a module in another course then fine do it in ST, but please don't belittle ladder until you understand the industry.

If you have programmed C, C++, VHDL, VB, python and arduino then ST should be a breeze, how far have you got with converting your pseudo to Unity specific ST ?

Unity Pro gives you the choice of what language you want to use.
I have a TSX premium and a little of everything is used in it with Unity Pro.
This is a gift from the original programmer for the site who undoubtedly freely copied from others.

Trust me... LAD and FBD are two types of languages not going anywhere. And Unity Pro is an awesome IDE compared to plenty of others. To me it just sounds like you're lazy. Put in the effort if you want a result. I'm happy to post some example ST for a pump availability array sorter that I wrote last week if you need an example.

I only started using Unity and modicon processors about 4 years ago. I had to learn by myself, on 3 rather complex wastewater treatment plants. All I used was the existing code and the help files. That was on top of my normal 50 hours a week of work. If some old bugger like me can figure it out, you can.

The same reason no one uses Ladder to program anything that isn't a PLC. It's a terrible language that is only around due to industry inertia. ST is the only IEC "language" that is anything like a proper programming language and so makes the most sense in all cases.
If all the plant techs went to a few weeks of training and saw all ST and no Ladder, everyone would be wondering why anyone would ever use ladder.

I'd love some example code - I'm not lazy really. Just having a hard time finding information and like I said the time is an enemy here. If I see code I think I will understand it.