Schneider HotStandby System with RIO question

Hello dear experts!
I need your assistance in the following.
I have a hot standby system based on Schneider Quantum CPUs with RIO nodes on Modicon M340 platform via Ethernet. All RIO nodes are interconnected in the ring for higher reliability. But one RIO node is placed in 500 meters from the others. I think I can connect it with optical Ethernet cable and a pair of switches with optical ports. All other RIO nodes are interconnected with copper Ethernet cable.
Would you please check my configuration and say will it work or not?
Or you can advise me another solution.
My configuration you can can find here:
http://www.filedropper.com/hotstandbysystemwithrio2

Any your help I will appreciate a lot 🍺

Last edited:
Hello dear experts!
I need your assistance in the following.
I have a hot standby system based on Schneider Quantum CPUs with RIO nodes on Modicon M340 platform via Ethernet. All RIO nodes are interconnected in the ring for higher reliability. But one RIO node is placed in 500 meters from the others. I think I can connect it with optical Ethernet cable and a pair of switches with optical ports. All other RIO nodes are interconnected with copper Ethernet cable.
Would you please check my configuration and say will it work or not?
Or you can advise me another solution.
My configuration you can can find here:
http://www.filedropper.com/hotstandbysystemwithrio2

Any your help I will appreciate a lot 🍺

You will be limited by a few factors but firstly some questions.....

Is this a true RIO system or an EIO system ?

What is the module on the M340 rack that you are using to connect to, a NOC or NOE ?

EDIT:

OK, I see the attachment now, I haven't used the CRA on M340 but i am not sure that will work as ring redundancy is handled by the CRA i think and you will break that connection using a switch in there ?

It might be best to drop that node off the RIO and use EIO, so swap the CRA for an NOE and I/O scan from the Quantum

Last edited:
I have a pure RIO system. A 140 CRP 312 10 module in the Quantum chassis and 140 CRA 312 10 modules in the RIO nodes. NOE modules in Quantum chassies are used to connect to the HMI system.
My main question is will the third RIO node be availiable via pair of switches?

Thank you very much for fast reply.
Maybe I can use several switches to convert copper media to optical media and vice versa.
I mean the following:
PLC 1 Quantum chassis CRP module -> copper cable to RIO 1 CRA module -> copper cable to RIO2 CRA module -> copper cable to switch1 -> optical cable -> switch 2 -> copper cable to RIO3 CRA module -> copper cable to switch 3 -> optical cable -> switch 4 -> copper cable to CRP module in Quantum chassis PLC 2.
So in this way I build simple RIO ring and use switches with optical ports as media converters.
Is it correct or not?

Thank you very much for fast reply.
Maybe I can use several switches to convert copper media to optical media and vice versa.
I mean the following:
PLC 1 Quantum chassis CRP module -> copper cable to RIO 1 CRA module -> copper cable to RIO2 CRA module -> copper cable to switch1 -> optical cable -> switch 2 -> copper cable to RIO3 CRA module -> copper cable to switch 3 -> optical cable -> switch 4 -> copper cable to CRP module in Quantum chassis PLC 2.
So in this way I build simple RIO ring and use switches with optical ports as media converters.
Is it correct or not?

Like I say, I haven't done a system using the CRA on M340 but that's what gives you your redundancy in the RIO network so I expect is fully deterministic, so introducing switches and converters may work against you.

I would talk to Schneider in a situation like this as not getting the architecture 100% correct is just going to cause issues.

Hello!
Tech Support of Schneider give me the alternative and cheaper solution: use NRP modules (media converter M340 module) in the RIO2 and RIO3 chassises. So last part of my cable interconnetion will be the following: RIO2 CRA module -> copper cable -> RIO2 NRP module -> optical cable -> RIO3 NRP module -> copper cable -> RIO3 CRA module -> copper cable -> RIO3 NRP module -> optical cable -> RIO2 NRP module -> copper cable -> PLC2 CRP module.

Thanks everybody for help! (y)

For posterity, I don't believe there would have been an issue with the original configuration that used schneider-branded switches as copper->fibre media converters. Sure each switch introduces a minor amount of latency and jitter but no more so than adding another ERIO drop in the ring.

This could be a good application for the M580 line since it is an all ethernet setup.