ControlLogix Power-Up Handler

Karlore

Hello all, thanks for taking time to read this. I'm having an issue with testing the power-up handler and I cannot get a fault to occur. In the power-up program, I have configured a main task and a fault task. In the main task I have a single rung which JSR's to the fault task with a code of 999. I expect that when I download then place the PLC in run, that this should trigger a fault, but it doesn't. Another piece of information is that I'm running the PLC in RSEmulate. Is there something else I'm missing?

Hello all, thanks for taking time to read this. I'm having an issue with testing the power-up handler and I cannot get a fault to occur. In the power-up program, I have configured a main task and a fault task. In the main task I have a single rung which JSR's to the fault task with a code of 999. I expect that when I download then place the PLC in run, that this should trigger a fault, but it doesn't. Another piece of information is that I'm running the PLC in RSEmulate. Is there something else I'm missing?
When the controller detects a fault, the control jumps to the fault routine. I think that jumping directly with a JSR to the fault won't trigger any fault: it's just like jumping to any routine.

If you want to generate a fault, just try doing an out-of-index operation on the main routine.

I think that jumping directly with a JSR to the fault won't trigger any fault: it's just like jumping to any routine.

According to Rockwell's Manual on P. 28, this is exactly how you're supposed to test faults.

Edit: I just noticed that this will only simulate the routine and not generate an error (P.27) but the wording below it is misleading. Does anyone know if this will actually trigger a fault?

Last edited:
Time for me to ask a stupid question: is your rung unconditional or is it set up exactly like the manual shows? If it's just like the manual, did you toggle Tag_1.0?

Another stupid thought: check the spelling of your fault task in your JSR to ensure it matches the actual name of the task.

Last edited:
The Power Up Handler is a specialized task. It is used to run logic whenever the controller powers up. It does not execute on a transition from Program to Run which is what is happening when you are downloading. I don't know that the emulator can simulate a power cycle.

And your terminology may be confusing things too.

• A Routine is found in a program and contains logic
  • A Program is found in a task and is used to store and organize routines
  • A Task organizes the programs and determines what runs when
I think you are saying "task" when you mean "routine". The JSR means Jump to SubRoutine.

OG

Time for me to ask a stupid question: is your rung unconditional or is it set up exactly like the manual shows? If it's just like the manual, did you toggle Tag_1.0?

No problem, yes, similar to the manual with a single bit to JSR to the FaultRoutine. The rungs are powered.