Tablets and PLC's

dploof23

Anyone here use a tablet for programming PLC's? If so, which one? I am getting a surface pro and was wondering if I could use it at work.

Thanks

It depends on the PLC and software that you plant to program with the tablet.
I would also look at the way the tablet will communicate to the PLC. (USB, Ethernet, COM ports, wireless, etc)
The best bet is to try and see.
Regards,

Anyone here use a tablet for programming PLC's? If so, which one? I am getting a surface pro and was wondering if I could use it at work.

Thanks

A surface isn't really a tablet in the true sense really though is it ?

I think of it as more of a laptop without a keyboard so assuming its running Windows 10, your software is compatible and has USB/Ethernet then it will work the same as a laptop.

If your programming software will run on Windows 10, then it will run on the Surface Pro. You are limited with physical ports. You will most likely need a USB-RSR232 adapter and a USB-Ethernet adapter.

I have also use a wireless router that had the option of making it an access point. Connected it to the PLC, then used the Surface Pro to connect wirelessly to the PLC.

Surface Pro is really a computer and as Archie said it will work.

Keep in mind the Surface Pro has and odd aspect ratio (3:2) and is higher resolution. This means some software won't appear correctly as they may or may not be able to adapt to the higher DPI settings properly. If you have applications like Wonderware InTouch that requires a certain resolution or risk botching it all up, well that will be a headache too.

I love the Surface Pro as well as all of the 4K laptops, but for work something like the Dell m3800/XPS with 1080p resolution will probably be less of a hassle overall until all software, including automation software can become DPI aware and scale properly. Which will probably be a good 3-5 years from now.

I have a 4K Dell m4800 work, and after much to-do I've switched it to run at 1080p, because it's not the native resolution text isn't as crisp and generally speaking everything has a slight shadow with it. It's a waste of money on a feature that you simply cannot use with most automation software.

Side note, I found this pocket router to be extremely handy and portable.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR810N.html

Side note, I found this pocket router to be extremely handy and portable.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR810N.html
I like that small router. It will fit nicely into my computer bag.

Many times on machine startup I will create an AdvancedHMI application to let me manually operate the machine wirelessly on a tablet. I have always used the typical sized routers to setup a temporary wireless access point, so it meant hauling another inconvenient box with me.

I can see using it for troubleshooting and commissioning as a convenient and mobile window into the system but not for programming. I need a large or multiple screens, full keyboard and responsive mouse type of input for programming to be efficient.

Many times on machine startup I will create an AdvancedHMI application to let me manually operate the machine wirelessly on a tablet. I have always used the typical sized routers to setup a temporary wireless access point, so it meant hauling another inconvenient box with me.

I do the same.

This is handy, and potable but probably doesn't have the range as a larger router w/antennas and such. But for short-term commissioning or general troubleshooting its a great tool that fits in a bag!

I don't know of any PLC programming software that is designed for a touch screen interface. Most of the buttons are too small. The other limitation is that you lose all tooltips if you try to use a touchscreen, and anything else that happens via the mouse pointer being somewhere without a click.

That said, if you intend to use your surface as a laptop, with a mouse and keyboard attached, then I don't see any problems. Well, no problems as long as all your software supports Win 10.

I have the Surface Pro 4 and run VMware Workstation on it with multiple Win7 virtual machines. It runs everything just fine. No scalability or resolution issues whatsoever. In fact the new 3:2 resolution makes much more sense than 16:9.

Mine has an Intel i5 processor which is just fine. You can opt for the i7 but I have no regrets in going with the i5. Mine has 8GB of RAM but you might opt for 16GB.

As mentioned, most control software is not designed for the new Windows interface so while touch can work, it wasn't designed for touch.

I bought the Surface dock which give you multiple USB ports so you can hook up a mouse, keyboard, and still have ports available for USB drives. It also gives you an Ethernet port and a video out connection to an external monitor. I rarely use the video out, but the extra USB ports are nice.

I think most of the above points apply to any Windows tablet.

OG

I do the same.

This is handy, and potable but probably doesn't have the range as a larger router w/antennas and such. But for short-term commissioning or general troubleshooting its a great tool that fits in a bag!

I use the same wireless access point unit, the same way.(y)

About the Surface Pro, I've had a couple of engineers bring them to PLC programming sessions. Cool idea in terms of ease of travel. Not so practical for program development. One of them used the magnifying tool to maneuver through parts of the session as things got tight onscreen.
Maybe if you wrote your program at your desk with a large monitor and then went onsite to download with the tablet, maybe that could be a scenario where the tablet applies.

Just following up on this thread as i have just taken a look at the surface pro 4.

I was planning on using it with a dock for when i am at my desk, connected to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc...

Then using it to remotely view code if i need to & vnc/run hmi software when required.

Has anyone had any futher experience with tablets?

Ash