First AB Ethernet to VFD Setup

rankhornjp

I'm not an AB guy, I usually work with Schneider/Modicon.

Here's what I have:
Controller: ControlLogix 5562, 1765-L62
Software: RSLogix 5000
Revision: 20.11

I have a project where we will be using Ethernet communications to talk to PowerFlex 525 and 755 drives.

2 questions:

1) I have 1 EN2T that has the IP that I select for communicating with the processor(Slot 1) and 1 EN2T that is connected to a remote rack (Slot 2). Both of these are on the same network. Do I need another EN2T for the drives or do I connect one of those to a switch and use that? I don't have anymore empty slots in the Local rack, but I do have space in the remote rack. If I need another card can I put it in the remote rack?

2) When I right-click on either one of the EN2Ts and click "new module" I see several options for the 755 drive, but I don't see an option for the 525 drive. How can I set up the 525 drive?

Thanks for the help.

I'm not an AB guy, I usually work with Schneider/Modicon.

Here's what I have:
Controller: ControlLogix 5562, 1765-L62
Software: RSLogix 5000
Revision: 20.11

I have a project where we will be using Ethernet communications to talk to PowerFlex 525 and 755 drives.

2 questions:

1) I have 1 EN2T that has the IP that I select for communicating with the processor(Slot 1) and 1 EN2T that is connected to a remote rack (Slot 2). Both of these are on the same network. Do I need another EN2T for the drives or do I connect one of those to a switch and use that? I don't have anymore empty slots in the Local rack, but I do have space in the remote rack. If I need another card can I put it in the remote rack?

You don't need another EN2T for the drives, you can place it on the same network. Really more about your network design than having drives. Large systems might have VFDs on it's own control network, smaller networks probably not.

2) When I right-click on either one of the EN2Ts and click "new module" I see several options for the 755 drive, but I don't see an option for the 525 drive. How can I set up the 525 drive?

Thanks for the help.

Most likely you don't have the 525 Add-On Profile (AOP) installed.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/downloads.page?

You will have to create an account to get access.

No, you don't need a second EN2T card in your main rack. In fact, assuming I understand your description correctly, you don't technically need the second one you already have. One card in the CPU rack can handle all communications to and from the processor. Now there are reasons you might WANT as second card, but it's not absolutely necessary.

As for your PowerFlex, here is how I have mine (a little different, but it should be really, really similar).

Configuration.JPG

The connection of PF525 to control-compactlogix is a charm, once you have the right AOP just added it to your ethernet board. Please be sure about your drives firmware version this will save you some time.

Last edited:
As the others mentioned, you don't have the AOP (Add On a Profile) for the 525 in your version of the software. But you can add it from the link given. Once you add that AOP, when you select "Add New Module" to your network, it will appear.

Thanks for the info.

So if I want to/can keep the drives in the same ip range as the processor I can use the cards I have.

Good deal.