Powerflex 755 v12.001 Drive AOP

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am unable to commission a new VFD because the AOP in my Logix 5000 v19 software only goes up to Powerflex AOP v10.

I have been scouring the Download and Incompatibility center and the Knowledgebase...for a long time trying to find an answer. I was about to start a chat session but it seems you have to buy a separate support contract to chat about drive$...

Anyone know where to find the right AOP?

Those that I can find only seem to go up to version 11. Also, I found one that is called v12 "signed". Don't know what "signed" means.

And when I select the AOP and get to the downloads page, it is only the release notes and not the AOP.

Next time I need to replace a Rockwell VFD, I think I will try to find a used one on ebay.

o_O

EDIT: Getting ready to flash this brand new drive back to version 3.4 ... What's the worst that could happen???

EDIT again: No go with 3.4, trying version 10 with controlflash next.

Okay, so Controlflash will not let me revert it to version 10 either. Is that the wrong tool (Controlflash) to flash a 755?

Now I found a AOP that allegedly includes support for version 11, but the version of the AOP is 15.00 just like the last AOP I installed. What a nightmare. Use Ethernet IP they said. It's so much better than hardwired controls they said...it will be so easy they said...

:) I am just trying to help my partner replace a VFD in a system designed by others...lesson learned if it says A/B quality and there's a networked VFD involved, add eight hours labor for commissioning.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like I am stumped. The pdf file that I downloaded seems to be telling me that I have to upgrade to version 28 of Studio 5000 in order to use this new vfd.

Can I disable module keying online?
EDIT: So I downloaded a different AOP for Powerflex Class 4 and Class 7 drives and now I have a 755 version 12 in my list while offline....
Trying to get online now...
hmmm...

Last edited:
So what has happened is that in 2013, the NSG* implemented enforcement of a rule that now forbids the use of VFDs that are capable of running at 600Hz or more on the output, without specific written approval (which is virtually impossible to attain). That's because of the possibility of them being used for centrifuges used for uranium enrichment. So when you have an older drive that was not intentionally hobbled to limit you to 590hz output, you can no longer change or upgrade that drive's firmware without going all the way to at least the first version that had that limitation in it. It's the law now. For the PF750 series, that was V11.0

At the same time, those newer firmware revs added other things that are incompatible with older RSLogix revisions, forcing you to upgrade, because it has to specifically limit you from going backward once you start a firmware upgrade, but you can't go forward either because your V19 software in now incompatible because it doesn't know of the limit and will fault out. So you are essentially stuck in limbo now that you started trying to do a firmware upgrade. You are going to have to update your RS5000 now, then you will be able to talk to your drive once it is upgraded to V11 or higher.

*NSG = Nuclear Suppliers Group, a consortium of nations that can export materials and equipment for use in the nuclear industry, of which the US and all major economies are a part of. In each individual country, enforcement of these rules is assigned to some sort of watchdog agency, here in the US it's the DoD.

By the way, you can call a separate VFD (only) tech support line that does NOT take having a contract, and speak to an actual human being. I think it's the only Business Unit within Rockwell that has this available. 262-512-8176

Last edited:
Interesting. Now, I have gotten farther. I can attempt to connect to the VFD, but seems the subnet mask is mismatched. 255.255.0.0 in the project, and 255.255.255.0 in the VFD. We are setting the VFD to match the project now and power cycling it.

There is another VFD just like this one that has the subnet 255.255.0.0 and I can read its properties just fine (v 3.4). I am not doubting your info, jraef, but since I can now select v12 offline, I think I may be able to actually get this thing reset and configured.

Well, I went offline and set things up to match the other working drive. When I changed the module revision to 12.1, it altered the input and output data items so I had to plug those back in, and we are about to perform a download once we have the plant stopped and ready.

I could have driven down and added two analog cards and some discrete wires easier than this (I am working remotely through my partners laptop)...

EDIT: Well I got the thing downloaded, parameters can be viewed, got the module reset, and now have a solid I/O OK LED. The drive is connected and owned. We're about to test run it. Okay, so now he tells me, "Its trying to ramp up...I'm going to hook up the motor now." ..:) Yep, in vector mode, I'm surpirsed it even tried to ramp. So my partner is powering it down to land the motor leads now. I did not know he hadn't done that yet. The motor passed the megger test earlier, so I am told.

Bottom line is that I needed to find the right AOP in a whole other location than where the technotes told me to look in the Compatiblity Center. The file name I last installed is:
RA_DrivesAOP_Ver_4.08 (~330MB)

And it was called:
AOP for PowerFlex 4-Class & 7-Class, SCANport v4.08.00

Just in case someone else falls into this pit...

Last edited:
Huh... I would have thought that V19 of RSL5K would not be able to look at that drive. I guess I'm wrong.

But just for shirts and googles, take a look at the frequency command setting range and see if it now stops at 590Hz as the upper limit.