Barcode scanner with FX3U PLC

sunny1

Goodmorning all

I have a project with a barcode scanner (wenglor type:BLN0L1R10) and a mitsubishi FX3U plc via ethernet. I now I have to "talk" to the scanner with ascii code's. But I don't now how to achieve this. Do I have to make strings and send those to the scanner? And than wait for the scanner to awnser.
Is there someone who can point me in the wright direction or has a sample program.
I attached a pdf with al the command lines.
I hope someone can help me.

greetings

I have not used the equipment that you have indicated. This is a master / slave type communication. You must send out the commands and wait for responses from the PLC.
I would first check to ensure that the Mitsubishi can be set up to sent ASCII over Ethernet. Set this up and then try to send a simple command to the device to verify communications.
Develop your program after this.
Regards,

The file you attached is not enough information to make this work. You also need to know what type of ethernet protocol is used to communicate with it.

I had a look around at wenglor's website and it seems to be a tcp connection. You have to set up ip address and a number of other settings, including port number on the bar scanner.

Regarding the PLC it looks like you can do tcp communication with it using something they call fixed buffers.

So yes, you have to make strings. You have to send those strings and monitor responses using the ethernet communication method of the PLC. You have to be able to take response strings and collect the actual barcode read from the response. You also have to consider what happens if the bar scanner doesn't reply or the communication is interrupted. You probably have to initiate the connection and if errors occur maybe reinitialize it as well after some timeout.

You also need a switch with port mirroring capability and you need to know how to use wireshark to troubleshoot your communication between PLC and bar scanner.

This not something you can whip up in an afternoon. Communication like this always turns out to be more complex than you think and there is always some surprise waiting for you. I'm saying this with considerable experience of PLC communication, protocols, buses and ethernet.

Expect to spend at least a week or two to get everything configured correctly and working in an industrial fashion. With that I mean that it works after you unplugged an ethernet cable (and out it back) or put the PLC in stop (and then run) or powered down the bar scanner (and then powered up).

Last edited: