FTView Application Name

USSA

Hi guys,

I am trying to display application name on one of the displays of FTView project. How can I get application name in tags. When Application name is changed it should change on display as well.

Thanks

FactoryTalk Fun...

Hi,

Assuming you are using FactoryTalk View ME...

This type of dynamic referencing is usually achieved by the use of the System Tags but to the best of my knowledge there is no System Tag available for the Current Application Name?

Normally, if you have a Goto Configuration button available in the running Application, you would have to use it and on the main Configuration screen you will see the Current Application Name at the top. This of course means that you have to temporarily exit the Application, which may not be possible at that time.

Without a Goto Configuration button, you would have to reboot the terminal to get there. But the Current Application may also be set to load on startup. So then you'd have to use the "white square" / Keys / Safe Mode method to get there. Then there is no Current Application loaded you cannot see what would have loaded...

...If there is more than one Application saved on the terminal you cannot tell which one was running automatically on startup...

...You would have to backup and remove Application MER files one at a time while rebooting each time until a missing MER files causes a failure to load...

Then you would know which Application was running at the time you still had hair.

I have not done what you have asked before, dynamically referencing the Current Application Name within that same currently running Application. However, one method that may work is to assign a STRING tag or address in the controller that is assigned to the Application's communications Shortcut...

Enter the Application's Name into the STRING. Use a Text Object in the named Application to reference the STRING in the controller. Place it somewhere suitable like on the inital display or at the top of each display if required. If there is more than one Application file saved on the terminal that communicates with the same contoller, which may be run at some point in the future, then create a STRING in the controller for each unique Application Name and likewise just reference the relevant STRING in each of those Applications.

Whichever Application is running, its Name will be displayed at runtime.

However, this will not satisfy the last part of your request; the Application Name reference automatically updating itself. Because you have no dynamic, direct reference to the Current Application you would have to edit the STRING should the Application Name ever change. To assist in this you could make the STRING editable from the Application using a String Input Enable Object under supervision, of course.

It's not ideal, I know. But it's the best I can think of at short notice to make up for FactoryTalk View ME's shortcomings. Something we have all had to get creative with over the years.

If there is another way to acheive this more easily I have not seen it, but maybe someone else has?

Regards,
George