Click PLC outputs question

PLCfromNZ

Have a quick question while troubleshooting-

I have connected my input 24V rocker switch to the inputs and have no problem there, the green LED on the click comes on when the switch is turned on.

The output is where i believe I am missing something. I have used this diagram to wire the output circuit-

hOK3IxmHLsQ.jpg

So like in the diagram I have V1 connected to the '+' of the power supply (24V) and the load (24V LED) is connected to the '-' negative of the power supply and also connected to that is C0. The other side of the load (24V LED) is connected to Y1.
The LED on the actual Click next to Y1 comes on (in red) when the input switch is activated so I am assuming it know there is an output there. But for some reason the load LED output does not light up.

Am i missing a step? I feel like I am following the wiring diagram.

Looks like you've got it wired up correctly. Is your load definitely 24VDC? Is it wired with correct polarity? Do you have 24VDC across the load?

Should V1 be internally connected to Y1 right? Thats why we are putting 24V to V1 and 0V to C0 to create a potential difference?

Because if I measure with a multimeter across the Load LED at the '-' negative on one side and Y1 on the other I have no voltage... (on diagram one side of load is Y1 and the other is '-' negative)
But if I measure from V1 (+ positive 24V) and Y1 its 24V.

OK, so you have 24VDC on V1 (as expected) and 0V on Y1. So your output is not putting out any voltage. Side note - the best way to measure for voltage is to put your black probe on the negative DC terminal of your power supply, and the red probe on wherever you want to check for the voltage. This would be my sequence of testing, run through these and tell me where you don't get the correct result:

Disconnect your load, just leave the V1 and C0 connected. Then make sure your output is on, and:
- Black probe to DC negative, red probe to V1 (should be 24VDC; proves that you have 24VDC on V1)
- Red probe to V1, black probe to C0 (should be 24VDC; proves that you have 0V on C0)
- Black probe to DC negative, red probe to Y0 (should be 24VDC; proves that your output is putting out voltage)

If all of those things are correct, then wire your load back in and run through the same tests again.

OK so here is what I have-

1. Black probe to DC negative, red probe to V1, = 24V

2. Red probe to V1, black probe to C0, = 24V

3. Black probe to DC negative, red probe to Y1 = this is where i do not understand
so this gives me approx 15V. When the rocker switch is off the voltage is 15V and when it is on it gives me 15.2 volts...
This beats my understanding because I thought the PLC works in a way where 24V is connected to V1 and when the switch is off the PLC internally does not put voltage at all to the load as I have in my program (but it gives 15V) and from my understanding when the rocker switch is on it should give a voltage to the load to activate it (although the voltage does increase, but only by 0.2V)
Also if I wire up a 12V LED as the load the 15 volts do not turn it on either.
Quite confused over all this as I am following the wiring diagrams

Put a load across DC neg and y1. Then read the voltage with it off. It'll probably read 0. That's common on PLC outputs. It sounds like a bad output. Switch it to y2 and try it.
I've had 120vac outputs leak enough to dimly light a pilot light while off. I put a resistor across it to bleed it off so operators didn't think it was on because of the pilot light.

Last edited:
Yes it did say 0V on one of the loads I connected. On a different LED it said the 15 or 15.2V as I explained previously. I will try a different output.

Would a the whole row/module be damaged and I will need to go to another module, or is it usually just the one? and Y2 for example should be fine?

In my experience with Click, and that's quite a bit, the commons for the outputs are not labeled v1 and v2. They're usually labeled c3 and c4, if it's the outputs on the processor.

One thought - when you say you're using an LED as the load - are you literally just using a bare LED? An LED itself is basically a dead short, and if you set one of those up as the load, you could have blown your output. If you're using an LED pilot light or some other self-contained LED lamp, it will almost certainly have a load resistor built in to allow you to run it off a PLC output or something, but just an individual component LED is not suitable as a load.

Another question - just to clarify, because the way you've phrased some things just leads me to wonder - how are you turning the PLC output on and off? I assume you're aware that it's not just as simple as wiring a switch into input 1 and output 1 coming on when you turn the switch on? You have to have a program in the PLC which turns on the output under set conditions (i.e. when input 1 is on), and that program has to be downloaded and running, and so on?

If all of these things are OK, then I'd be thinking it's likely a faulty output, and I'd be trying output 2 as T Gibbs has suggested. After you make sure you're using a suitable load, of course :)

CO as in common, I use the following PLC and it has V1, but you are right on the expansion modules it is named C3, C4
5969QXOD7eI.jpg

and yes I have made the simplest program and loaded onto the Click-
VsdXQDXKfyI.jpg

The LED load i have used is a festoon 24V light, could this be what I am doing wrong by connecting it up straight to '-' and Y1?
6Lhj7mgfhvI.jpg

Have you hooked that light directly to the power supply and verified that it works? Also Some LEDs are polarized. Make sure you don't have it backward.