GE PACSystems and ASCII Serial

I have a possible application where an existing RX3i processor will need to get ASCII data over serial from a device (and no, I have no other choice). I was told the IC695CMM002 is a good choice for this. Anybody have experience that can confirm this?

Yes, I do. I would not steer you wrong. You can find the manual here: IC695CMM002
There is a sample program attached.
As indicated you can also use COMMREQ functions in Proficy ME if your CPU has an open serial port but IMHO the CMM002 is a better option.

Yes, I do. I would not steer you wrong. You can find the manual here: IC695CMM002
There is a sample program attached.
As indicated you can also use COMMREQ functions in Proficy ME if your CPU has an open serial port but IMHO the CMM002 is a better option.

Hello,

Could you offer some insight as to why the CMM002 a better option? I am setting up some ASCII comms for the first time on a RX3i PLC. I have Port 1 as a spare, but it looks like there is a lot more back end configuration through the CMM002. i have Termination and Append characters. Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Could you offer some insight as to why the CMM002 a better option? I am setting up some ASCII comms for the first time on a RX3i PLC. I have Port 1 as a spare, but it looks like there is a lot more back end configuration through the CMM002. i have Termination and Append characters. Thanks for your feedback.
For most it is a more straight forward approach and does not need nearly as much logic to get the same and more diagnostics in the case of issues at startup or in the future. Plus it offloads communications from the CPU whose main job is I/O control and gives it to a dedicated processor on the module.
Of course today Ethernet is the preferred media for all communications.