Siemens APACS+ w/MODBUS RS232/485

dburnum

Having an issue in which trying to communicate via modbus on an ACM+. I made the redundant serial cable myself, and verified it with my scopemeter. I am talking through a rs232/rs485 converter by Phoenix Contact, that uses a standard 9-pin d-sub connector for the RS232 connection, rather than breaking out the cable the way the Schneider converter had done. The ACM+ is issuing a "no connection" error. Does that mean its failing to connect to the modbus device, or to the converer itself? I had to jumber pins 4, and 8, which connects CTS and DTR, and in the Phoenix Contact Converter (PSM-ME-RS232/RS485-P), DTR and DSR are internally jumpered.
Dealing with a handmade cable, and unfamiliar converter, and the fact I've never had to bring a modbus connection into an ACM has been daunting. Anything I'm missing? THE converter and a DCE.DTE switch, a Termination switch, and a set of dip switches for baud, inversing the CTS/RTS and 485/422 selection. I'm pretty sure I have the dip switches set correctly, but am a little unclear on possible cabling issues with the different connections shown from the Schneider unit.

I'm a bit confused with RS232 signals, I think. The diagram from Siemens shows pins 4,8 jumpered to create the RTS signal, and I do have documentation to indicate that the COM ports on the ACMs are non-standard.
Would I just use that RTS signal as the diagram suggests to my converter's RTS pin? And if so, what setting would my handshaking be? It also appears I may need to swap TD and RD.
"The control module's serial port pin-out is not the same as that typically found on a personal computer. The control module serial port is a DB9 female connection, using different pins than the PC for transmitting (TD) and receiving (RD) data.

I have not used the equipment that you mentioned, but I would start without the RTS signal to the converter and start with no handshaking. It will not be used on the RS485 side. The only other thing to do is determine if you need to swap the TD and RD signals. If the converter has a TD and RD light it will help and determine if they need to be switched.
The modbus is a master slave so you should see the TD signal go first then the RD signal after from the ACM+.

Hope this helps,

Well I had some luck....if you want to call it that. I at least have some communications to the field device, but am at a loss on one final point.
I ended up lifting the RTS, and using the RxD into the control of a left over spare Entrelec Converter. This system is directly documented, except that I am using a 2-wire modbus interface. And while It is now polling the field device and returning "good" data on most Modbus registers, there is at least one that was way off. it should have returned an integer "3", but was instead a "7". Also. I'm not sure if by lifting the RTS, and using the RxD for control, that the Converter is transmitting properly, or at all. My PCS7 HMI is successfully changing the value of my array element as its is supposed to, but reverts back to the value placed by the field device. This is happening on R/W addressed registers. The MODBUS_M function block has a command code of 66, which states it is for reading addresses, but until the SET_VAR, or an HMI client changes an array element, it would then write.

So I'm back to where I was two days ago. Reading all registers correctly, but not accepting and values being written to it. I'm waiting on a return call from Ingersoll-Rand about this Intelliflow. I have it communication on the Phoenix-Contact converter that was what I had gotten for this project.
my Modbus Master block has a command code 66
"66 - Holding Register Read/Write
DATA array: WORD, INT, UINT, REAL, DINT, UDINT, STRING
This command is unique to Moore Products Co.’s MODBUS_M function block but is implemented
from two standard Modbus function codes, Code 03 - Holding Register Read and Code 16 - Preset
Multiple Registers. By combining the two standard codes, it is much easier to configure the Modbus
master to change register values in the slave device. Most of the time, this function code reads
register values (using code 03) and returns the values to the DATA array. If a command is sent by
logic (SET_VAL block) in the control module or by a client (operator interface) on the
APACS/QUADLOG side to the DATA array element, the function block automatically sends code
16 to change the register value, then resumes the reading process"

Any ideas as to why I'm unable to write values to the registers?