Barcode reader, HMI and AB

dginbuffalo

Hello,

I have a possible app where I need a 2D barcode reader that will provide a product target weight, min/max and part # to a PLC so it can control a scale and taping machine. I will have a HMI and probably a AB Compactlogix. I've never done a barcode system before so looking for hardware suggestions. Also, since I need an HMI, I considered using a Red Lion and connecting the barcode reader to it directly. I thought this might make interfacing to Allen Bradley easier- Just an idea though since I'm unfamiliar with these systems. Thanks for any advice.

I just used some SICK Ethernet IP readers. CLV62 I believe is the series.
Real easy to interface with. They even have some Logix examples.

Will the scan be performed by the HMI operator (eg. hand held scanner), or it will be performed by the machine?

If HMI operator, the most hassle free in terms of design is any barcode reader that acts like a USB keyboard, then have the operator "type" the barcode into the HMI application. I just get one from the local supplier of PC equipment.

If part of the machine get a cognex/keyence/sick 2d barcode scanner and ask for a *Logix sample program from your supplier. Get three quotes and pick the cheapest.

Thanks all. I have the Keyence rep coming in Thursday to discuss. Should be a simple application (although I've never dissected a barcode in the PLC before). The barcode will be on a workorder which they lay in a tray. The reader will be above this tray and scan the workorders barcode. The data will be moved into the PLC so it can be compared with the scales actual reading. If it is not in tolerances, the taping machine entry gate will not accept it.

I also agree with the Cognex and Keyence routes for use with the CompactLogix.

Pros for the Cognex: Should be easier transmit images to your Red Lion. AOP already in place for the plc.

Pro for the Keyence: Better support model than Cognex which should have you up and running quicker. More affordable (pending your existing relationships with both vendors).