AD DURApulse VFD Opinions?

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,
Like the title says I am looking for opinions on the Automation Direct DuraPulse AC Drive. In the past I have only use AB Powerflex drives so I am new to the DURApulse.

This is a standard pump application 40 hp 480VAC motor. I will control it with a PLC via Ethernet or maybe 4-20mA. The customer is kind of cheap so I want to give them a low cost option.

So give me your thoughts. If you have used other drives that are cheaper than AB and are good drives let me know.

Thanks in advance.

We recently hooked up with a supplier of LSIS H100 drives. The prices are so low it's scary but they have a good reputation according to some oil field techs we work with. We have a deal that is better pricing than even A/D could give us.

The parent company is LG electronics.

I have not used the Durapulse.

The AD drive is a brand-labeled Delta drive. Delta makes a lot of the component class (meaning cheap, throw-away) drives on the market that are sold by other companies, as does Teco and LS/LG. Delta drives are not particularly good, but not all that bad either. However almost all drives sold in our very competitive market have to be at least decent, otherwise they wouldn't survive for long. For something like a pump, I would not expect that you would have any troubles.

Right now the bottom feeders in the VFD industry are a Red Chinese company that markets under several names, or no name at all, called Huanyang. THAT drive is exceptionally BAD if you ever take one apart to look at the quality of construction. They are extremely questionable about how they sell and support them, making wildly ridiculous claims that are flat out untrue, and choosing to use eBay rather than a distribution model. So (supposedly) private eBay dealers buy them in bulk and resell them individually, DIRT cheap, then disappear when they sell out their inventory before the disappointed users discover how bad they are. Then if you contact Huanyang in China, they tell you that they don't support sales to the North America, you have to contact whomever you bought them from. It's a racket going on right now that people would be wise to stay clear of.

Thanks for the info Guys!! I am hoping to get them to buy a AB Powerflex unit but wanted to have a back up plan incase they balk at the price.

Daddy always told me "You get what you pay for,or less."

I don't have experience with the DuraPulse drives. Having said that, I have used a lot of ADC stuff in a lot of product categories over the years and I have been uniformly happy. The quality is good, the price is good, and support has always been good. The aren't top of the line, but they are a good value. The less in their case has always seemed to be local support and local inventory. If you don't need that, and if you don't have a particularly demanding application, then you should get your money's worth with ADC.

Thanks Tom!! I have used a lot of there component stuff in my Panels with good results too. I have been very impressed with the Productivity 2000 PLC lately.

The AD drive is a brand-labeled Delta drive. Delta makes a lot of the component class (meaning cheap, throw-away) drives on the market that are sold by other companies, as does Teco and LS/LG. Delta drives are not particularly good, but not all that bad either. However almost all drives sold in our very competitive market have to be at least decent, otherwise they wouldn't survive for long. For something like a pump, I would not expect that you would have any troubles.

Right now the bottom feeders in the VFD industry are a Red Chinese company that markets under several names, or no name at all, called Huanyang. THAT drive is exceptionally BAD if you ever take one apart to look at the quality of construction. They are extremely questionable about how they sell and support them, making wildly ridiculous claims that are flat out untrue, and choosing to use eBay rather than a distribution model. So (supposedly) private eBay dealers buy them in bulk and resell them individually, DIRT cheap, then disappear when they sell out their inventory before the disappointed users discover how bad they are. Then if you contact Huanyang in China, they tell you that they don't support sales to the North America, you have to contact whomever you bought them from. It's a racket going on right now that people would be wise to stay clear of.

Does Delta still make any component class VFD's for Rockwell? I ask because I have had a lot of people tell me AB does not make a lot of their drives meaning primarily the component class offerings?