SLC 500 error

Markn902

Hi I am new to this Allen Bradley system as I just was able to connect to the system a week ago. where I work at doesn't really have any training so after I try to fix the things we have I plan on doing some training on my own. Anyway the last problem I have a good CPU but have an error message that won't go away. The error is

Fault Routine S:29=0
Major Error S:6=194h

" in the REM Run or Test mode the module in Slot 1 has been detected as being inserted under power. This can also mean that the module has reset itself"

I go to clear it and after I clear it goes to remote program mode and when I go to put it run the fault comes back. I tried to replace the slot one card with a known good one but to no avail.

any help would be appreciated thanks :)

Last edited:
Remove all modules and keep only CPU. Create new program and download it to the controller and try again. If the controller is okay in run mode then u have problem in ur module configuration.

Absolutely I always power down when removing any modules. Well I removed the card in slot 1 and downloaded the program to it and with the module removed it still gave me a error message. what do you think? is it a backplane issue?

It does sound like a faulty chassis - but then, there are plenty of others here with more experience that I in the many quirks and nuances of the SLC line - hang about in case one of them has seen this before and knows something I don't!

(do you have a spare chassis lying around you could swap it with for testing purposes?)

Well yeah I do I would have to take it off another bus but it is feasible. use a new chassis with the old cards? yeah I can do that.

hi Mark.

When you remove the module from the chasis( In hardware) . you have to remove the card from IO configuration also. If you dont remove the card from IO configuration and download. It will give you a major fault.

Also does it matter what output module goes where? or is it just an output module that receives instructions from the CPU?

Specially in SLC processor. Program IO configuration and Hardware slot configuration should be exactly same. Even if you have a mismatch in the DI DO cards version it will halt your processor wtih major fault.

I encountered the same problem in past. your chassis never go faulty. Its 99% not possible.

kannanmkm said:
your chassis never go faulty. Its 99% not possible.
Failed chassis' are unusual, certainly, but they do happen. The SLC line is around 25 years old, nothing lives forever.

Yep, if you have a known good chassis lying around, put all the cards into that one in the same order. If the CPU doesn't fault out in the new chassis, you're probably safe to call it a faulty chassis. It doesn't matter if you swap the positions of two output cards as long as the part numbers are identical, but it would pay to keep everything in exactly the same spot just to eliminate the chance of something else that you do fixing the problem and leading your troubleshooting astray.

Yeah I am going to start on it I may not have it finished before my shift is up. Also this bus had a waterleak and that's what caused the problem. It had happened before and without having the ability to hook up to the SLC they just got all new cards and had the CPU programmed from the people who retro'd the bus. that seemed to fix it until it got wet again.

This can be chasis, card or power supply or dirty pins.

Is this a wet/dusty environment? Try powering down the rack, removing cards and blowing out both the cards and the rack really well. This may fix your issue.

Next, find another card of the same type and remove the terminal blocks from both. Switch cards and attach the wiring. See if the fault moves to another slot. If so, this is a card most likely rather than a rack/psu issue. If this does fix the issue go around tapping different spots on the rack (enough to cause connections to jiggle, but not enough to damage the rack) and see if it faults on you again.

If those two things don't fix the issue you need to replace either the rack or PSU, whichever happens to be the easiest to do first. This sounds more like a rack to me, but could be the PSU.

Hi just to let you guys know the chassis was ok. I swapped all the modules out and it started right up. However putting back in one output module (#6) it gave me the same error for slot one. So I am going to replace the 4 output modules and the 2 inputs. That should fix it. Thanks for all the help ��

It will give you the error if you insert the module under power - the proper test is power down, insert module, power back up, and see if it faults THEN. Obviously, each time you'll have to download an updated PLC program so that your hardware configuration is correct and you don't just have it fault on a missing (or extra) card.