Upload application from PanelView 550

Hi!

I have a customer with a SLC5/03 and a PanelView 550. I need to extract the application from the PanelView 550, but this model only has two DH485 ports, one RJ45, and a propietary connector, like a wider RJ45.

he SLC5/03 has a RJ45 and a DB9. RJ45 is used to communicate to the PanelView.

I've been looking for a 1747-UIC for extracting the application directly, but it's been Mission: Impossible, no one has it.

I've been reading about connection with my PC to DB9 with a serial cable, and then configure the SLC to passthrough communication to PanelView, but I don't exactly know how to do this.

Could someone explain me how to do this, or how I can extract the application from the PanelView with my setup?

I repeat, only RJ45 and propietary connector on PanelView side.

Thank you all!

it's been about 12 years since I've done the "passthru" trick – and that was with an SLC-5/04 for Data Highway Plus – not an SLC-5/03 for Data Highway 485 ... but MAYBE the following post will help ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=48652&postcount=4

and here's a source that might be helpful in case the passthru trick won't get you where you need to go ...

http://www.plccable.com/

good luck with it – and welcome to the forum ...

TIP: if you need more help, please give the CATALOG number of the PanelView (something like 2711-B5A5, etc.) ... it makes a BIG difference ...

Last edited:
Thank you for the help! I've read about doing it with a superior PLC, I will try the same with the SLC5/03. The number from the rear of the PanelView is 2711-K5A2, Series F, Revision D.

Thanks!

Sorry for double post.

You say you set a particular bit, S:34/5 (the Pass-Thru Enable Bit), and lost communication in order to use the SLC unit as a passthrough. My question is how you restore the communication if you can't change that bit after you lost communication?

Thanks!

please keep in mind that I'm not sure that you can "passthru" with DH485 - but to try to answer your immediate question:

THIS IS FROM MEMORY - IT MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT ...

once the first step is done - and you lose communication - then you have to set the Device Type to 1770-KF2 to re-establish communications again ... there might be some more about this in the rest of the posts in the thread that I linked ...

personally I'd wait until I could get a properly working communications device for this type of operation ... I KNOW that you can do a "possthru" operation with an SLC-5/04 - but I wouldn't bet more than pocket change on getting it to work with your equipment ...

again - I wish you luck ...

Hello everyone!

I tryed your suggestions but Pass-Thru only works for SLC5/04 and above. So I extracted the runtime with a PCMCIA. I have the runtime, but it's not editable, so I can only transfer it to another 550 unit.

The question now is if I could transfer it to a similar 550 unit:

My customer has a 2711-K5A2, SER. F, REV. D, FRN. 3.12

I want to replace it with other used unit. It is the same SER, but different REV and FRN. The used unit is REV. J, FRN. 4.0.

Could I just plug the PCMCIA with the runtime and copy it to this unit? I don't have it right now, I need to know before buying it.

Thanks for the help!!

It looks like who ever programmed the PV did not include the "editing" part of the program, as far as I know your backup of the "runtime" will only work for a unit of exactly the same revision and firmware.

Alan.