Obvious Beginner configuration of Allen-Bradley CompactLogix L24ER

I thought I could learn PLC ladder logic better if I had a Controller. Think again! My PLC knowledgeable co-workers tell me basic setup is Level II engineer stuff. I am lost as to where to begin to simply locate the L24ER on network in RSLinx.

I have power to the controller of 24 V via a 1606-XLP power supply. N/S and I/O are blinking green, as OK and SD blink red, while High-Speed Counter's lcd OK blinks green.

SW installed:
RSLinx Classic Lite 3.80.00 CPR 9 Sr 8
RSLogix 5000 V20.04.00 (CPR 9 SR 5)

I have no chassis, nor did I terminate with an end cap(I am going to get 1769-ECR for this asap). Would not having the end cap cause RSLinx to recognize the controller as an "RSLinx Server" or a "Computer ��". So lost!

Greatly appreciate any advice!

PLCNET.jpg WP_20160415_001.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the PLCTalk community !

Fresh out of the box, the controller won't have an IP address, but will be set for "BOOTP/DHCP" dynamic address request protocol. This is very similar to how your computer behaves when you plug it into the office network.

It would be easiest to just connect over USB. RSLinx will create the driver automatically and you'll be able to browse to the controller and set up its Ethernet configuration and IP address simply by right-clicking in RSLinx Classic.

Take a bit of a step back and figure out if your computer is set up for dynamic addressing or if you have a static address.

The absence of the end cap will make the expansion I/O bus fault, but the onboard I/O and comms are not affected.