Sinamics S110 STO ramp?

Pete.S.

I have a system with a S110 and a servo motor.

When the operator hits the emergency stops the STO function in the S110 is activated. But it seem to stop too fast and it causes mechanical problems.

Where can I change the ramp the S110 uses to stop when emergency braking?

Thanks,
Pete

If the operator is hitting E-Stop when it's not an emergency, it's time to either retrain the operator or redesign the control system. Emergency stop should be to stop as fast as possible and not part of the normal operation of the machine.

Pete
Interesting because STO is safe torque off (coast)
You sure your not using SS1 which has a time ramp?
Go online with the safety integrated part of Starter and do a screenshot

Btw
I agree with Steve
If my arm is in the machine, I don't care what happens to the machine as long as it stops :)

Last edited:
If the operator is hitting E-Stop when it's not an emergency, it's time to either retrain the operator or redesign the control system. Emergency stop should be to stop as fast as possible and not part of the normal operation of the machine.

Thanks Steve for your concern. This is not one of those cases though.

Machine should also stop as safely as possible, not always as fast as possible. Basically it's a matter of risk assessment, check ISO 13849-1.

For instance imagine a metal lathe. If you stop as fast as possible with a servo motor, things will come flying out of the chuck. That is not safe for the operator.

Pete
Interesting because STO is safe torque off (coast)
You sure your not using SS1 which has a time ramp?
Go online with the safety integrated part of Starter and do a screenshot

Btw
I agree with Steve
If my arm is in the machine, I don't care what happens to the machine as long as it stops :)

It's STO for sure.

Are you sure it's always set to coast or can this be changed? I can't find any settings for this.

Regular VFDs coast but this is a servo controller after all. But maybe that makes no difference - I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Look in to using SS1. If I remember correctly when SS1 is used then quick stop ramp is enabled, after that time expires then STO.
Check the manual. I don't have timing diagrams in front of me
But you should be able to accomplish your goals

Look in to using SS1. If I remember correctly when SS1 is used then quick stop ramp is enabled, after that time expires then STO.
Check the manual. I don't have timing diagrams in front of me
But you should be able to accomplish your goals

Of course! šŸ™ƒ

STO have to disconnect everything electronically so it have to result in the drive coasting to a stop. So this is a category 0 stop. And of course I can't find any settings for a stop ramp because there can't be one.

I took a look in the manuals and SS1 is a category 1 stop as you say. Since I can't stop the drive too fast, it's of course a category 1 stop I need to do.

Thanks a lot!

interesting thread, I too was having the same problem
o.png