Connecting to RSlinx Lite to RSlinx Gateway

pusaran

Hi all,

i need some help here,
i have 4 AB PLC + 3 PC on the line. All are connected to the same network.
Main PC has the RSlinx Gateway with license and another 2 Sub PC has the RSlinx Lite.
i was able to retrieve the data from PLC on the Main PC with VB.net and also have another VB.net application launched on Sub PC then connect to Main PC and collect date.

But after it works for few month, it just suddenly failed. The application on Main PC is still working, just the Sub PC is not working. It shows belows error. I try to check the DCOM setting and everything was as i set before.

FYI, all the PC and PLC are connected to the company domain, so is it possible that the IT guy did change something on the Authentication through the domain that cause the failure? Or can anyone can tell me where to check? such as the setting in RSlinx Gateway and RSlinx Lite or the security setting on Sub and Main PC.
Your help is appreciated. >.<

Below is the Coding i write on my application for connection.
10.103.1.230 and 10.103.6.179 is the IP for the PLC
the IP for Main PC is 10.103.6.180

//This 1 have the error of Access is Denied
Private Sub Server_Frontend_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Try
'Connect to Remote OPC Server
MyOpcServer = New OPCServer
'MyOpcServer.Connect("RSLinx Remote OPC Server", "191.168.0.208")
'MyOpcServer.Connect("RSLinx OPC Server", "191.168.2.255")
MyOpcServer.Connect("RSLinx OPC Server", "10.103.1.230")

'Add this group to the shared topic
Group1 = MyOpcServer.OPCGroups.Add("Server Frontend 1")
Group1.UpdateRate = 500
Group1.IsSubscribed = True
Group2 = MyOpcServer.OPCGroups.Add("Server Frontend 2")
Group2.UpdateRate = 500
Group2.IsSubscribed = True
Group3 = MyOpcServer.OPCGroups.Add("Server Frontend 3")
Group3.UpdateRate = 500
Group3.IsSubscribed = True

' Point to Remote OPC Server Topic
Group1.OPCItems.DefaultAccessPath = "SV_Frontend_kitting"
Group2.OPCItems.DefaultAccessPath = "SV_Frontend_kitting"
Group3.OPCItems.DefaultAccessPath = "SV_Frontend_kitting"

ItemR1 = Group1.OPCItems
ItemR1.DefaultIsActive = True
ItemR2 = Group2.OPCItems
ItemR2.DefaultIsActive = True
ItemR3 = Group3.OPCItems
ItemR3.DefaultIsActive = True

//This gets Class is not licensed Error
Private Sub FormDesktopBackend_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Try
'Connect to Remote OPC Server
MyOpcServer = New OPCServer
'MyOpcServer.Connect("RSLinx Remote OPC Server", "191.168.0.208")
'MyOpcServer.Connect("RSLinx OPC Server", "191.168.2.255")
MyOpcServer.Connect("RSLinx OPC Server", "10.103.6.179")

'Add this group to the shared topic
Group1 = MyOpcServer.OPCGroups.Add("Desktop Backend 1")
Group1.UpdateRate = 500
Group1.IsSubscribed = True
Group2 = MyOpcServer.OPCGroups.Add("Desktop Backend 2")
Group2.UpdateRate = 500
Group2.IsSubscribed = True
Group3 = MyOpcServer.OPCGroups.Add("Desktop Backend 3")
Group3.UpdateRate = 500
Group3.IsSubscribed = True

' Point to Remote OPC Server Topic
Group1.OPCItems.DefaultAccessPath = "Desktop_BACKEND"
Group2.OPCItems.DefaultAccessPath = "Desktop_BACKEND"
Group3.OPCItems.DefaultAccessPath = "Desktop_BACKEND"

ItemR1 = Group1.OPCItems
ItemR1.DefaultIsActive = True
ItemR2 = Group2.OPCItems
ItemR2.DefaultIsActive = True
ItemR3 = Group3.OPCItems
ItemR3.DefaultIsActive = True

IMG-20160417-WA0007.jpg IMG-20160417-WA0008.jpg

To my knowledge, RSLinx Lite never allowed OPC connections. So I would have never thought it would have worked. This is directly from Publication LINX-GR001O-EN-E :

"This version does not support OPC, DDE, or the published RSLinx Classic C API (Application Programming Interface)."

Are the PLCs on the same network as all the PCs or they on an isolated network through the PC with RSLinx gateway?

Last edited:
Hi Archie,

Yes, RSLinx Lite does not support OPC Connection, but they are able to connect to RSLinx Gateway on another PC on the same network that is querying the PLC data.

All the PC and PLC are on the same network.

So your OPC connection is actually connecting to the RSLinx Gateway and not through the RSLinx Lite? If so, then the RSLinx Lite doesn't really play into the equation?

To be precise, my VB.net software on PC#2 connect to RSLinx Gateway on PC#1 through RSLinx Lite on PC#2.
I guess this is where I'm getting confused. If you're VB program is connecting through RSLinx Lite via OPC, doesn't that then mean RSLinx Lite would have to allow OPC connections?

If you use RSWho on the RSLinx Lite, does it show the RSLinx Gateway and the PLCs through it?

Yap, in RSLinx Lite, i added Remote Device via Linx Gateway with the IP of PC#1. Then it will show up all the PLCs that were added in RSLinx Gateway before. Also i just need to add topic on RSLinx Gateway for my VB.net software to point to for data collection.
FYI, today I managed to get the software with Access is Denied Error working on PC#3. Now it's just left the software with Class is not licensed Error in pending.