First VFD Class next week...

Russ

Lifetime Supporting Member
It's the Robicon GT series.. good idea since I deal with 5 of them (4-700Hp, 1-500hHp).

I'm really excited about this, and want to get the most out of it that I can....
Any tips/advice on how to maximize my learning would be greatly appreciated.
Anything I should look over to make sure I'm up to speed for the class?
I cannot wait...it's gonna be a blast...

Russ,

Two things that will help in any class, especially a short session where a lot of the subject matter may be "Over-Your-Head":

1. Take a notebook, pen and a couple of Highliter markers. With these write down everything you hear that sounds important &/OR useful. Highlight "special" details that stick out or are emphasized. Plan on keeping these notes in your office until you retire or hit the Lotto. (I still have the notes from the first A-B PLC course I went to too many years ago & do look through them occasionally still.)

2. If you think of a question write it down & ask it! Write down the answer you get also. Too many times I have been in a training session where the instructor asks if there are any questions to a room full of silent observers - if you ask your question, they will open up & ask all of their questions too. Otherwise, immediately after the session, they will be asking each other their questions and will all leave confused or under-trained. More detailed information can be learned from a few questions than the usual canned presentation made well in advance.

p.s. - Write down the other persons questions & answers too, who knows, something may be relavant in the future.

have fun!

I was sent to Pittsburg when we installed our first Robicon
(Perfect Harmony Series) 750 hp 4,160V drive in 1997, for training at Robicon's facility.
It was great, I keep the manual handy but that drive and the next one we installed have been almost flawless. I had to reroute some control wiring when a solid state relay burnt out, but they had 5 spare relays on the board so it was a 15 minute fix. We also had major problems with the main fused disconnect they sent with it (Pow-r-con)
The fuses would fall out when the spring loaded disconnect was thrown open. I don't think they still use Pow-r-con, you might want to check.
Otherwise the drive has been a gem, would like to take the training again because I have forgotten most of it.
One thing I remember was I was the only techy in the class without his own laptop. (my company still doesn't think a laptop is a personal tool!)

Good Luck, I like your enthusiasm,

Brian.

Thanks man.. I'm really looking forward to this....
Motors and VFDs have fascinated me for some time. The more ya know the more valuable ya are... and the more fun you can have. Which, to me, is what it's all about.
I don't really look at it as work... sad, but true.. they're my machines... and I want them to run properly... hahaha